layout

11/10/2010

The Blur -- Intro without pictures

The end of October was kind of a blur to me. I had so much going, we all got sick, and Dustin was gone for 11 out 14 very busy, hectic days that I literally ended up sobbing on the phone so hard that my sister had to call my friend Karen to rescue me. I think it went something like this (please read in my over-dramatic voice):

"I'm soooo sick. I'm never going to get better and I have so much to do!" Kathleen then prods me to find out what exactly needs to be done and I rattle off a million things. She then asks me what actually needs to be done at this exact moment.

"I need to make treats to take to Ellie's Mother-Daughter spa party and I'm too sick and I told Dustin to buy something and he bought cookies that you can tell are store bought. " (like people would WANT to eat something I made if I was deathly ill?? Wouldn't they be grateful I bought it so it wasn't contaminated?) I think I also whined about needing to get up and shower and do my hair and I had no energy. And possibly that I didn't like the nail polish colors that Dustin picked out (this will prove to be an interesting fact later in the story, but 6 months ago I threw out all the nail polish after Ellie and a friend left some bottle open for Sadie to find who then painted a few dresses, their bed spreads and a couple of pieces of furniture).

Of course Kathleen, who totally understand a good mental break down when she hears one, calls our friend Karen who so sweetly runs to the store to buy lemon bread (which looks home made, but is also already cut, so I won't have to actually touch the pieces -- she is so thoughtful) and soup for dinner. We get in the car when Ellie starts sobbing. "Mom, I don't feel very good." And then she ran out of the car, to the side of the house and puked.

So we didn't go to her spa party and I realized that everything would be OK, because even if everything doesn't get done, my family was important.

And then when Dustin was cleaning up, he dropped one of the bottles of nail polish on the tile floor and it shattered everywhere, resulting in a huge mess which included me having to re-paint an entire wall before our party that weekend.

5 comments:

Michelle said...

Sisters are the best.

Lara Neves said...

Nail Polish is evil. I didn't throw it away, but I have hidden it very well. I'm dying that you had to paint!

I hope things are better for November!

Casey said...

Wow! I would have had a serious breakdown as well! I hope this happened on a day while I was at work because I sure didn't get a call from you. I am right down the street and me love to help!

Lisa Brown said...

Oh Maddy! I feel your pain. Times like that are awful, and sometimes you really just need to vent - and remember them.

Rickie said...

What a sweet sister and Karen is such a great friend. It is all because you are so loved.