layout

7/24/2013

Beach Bums

There is nothing more relaxing than a week at Sandbridge.  Every other year my parents rent a beach house for all of us and we basically eat and lay around in the sun.

When people ask what we did, I can't even think of anything exciting, and that's what makes it so great! It's a week of total spoiling. Right on the beach, plenty of cousins and time with my family. I'd wake up, go do some exercise, make some breakfast and we were in the sand by 10 at the latest. Maybe come in for lunch around 2 and head back to the pool until dinner time.

The beach house this year was perfect -- beds everywhere and lots and lots of toys.  My kids were mainly stoked for the TVs in every.single.room. The little girls all slept in the "Sandcastle" room which housed around 20 puzzles.  One evening we were all treated to a "Puzzle Muzum" complete with tour guides and tickets.


Downstairs was a giant game room where Dustin and Kyle competed in many epic battles, none of which held our interest for long. But it appears as long as I was sleeping, Dustin would win.

Kathleen and I were in charge of the shopping. I think we did a pretty good job, even though we still had to go to the store every day.
On one such "town" trip, Nate ended up with some awesome sunglasses.

THE BEACH!!!  That's it. I love that place. But just the beach.  Not the water.

We dug holes, went boogey boarding (even I got in the water for that) -- "Papa knows the waves!"
 made up cheers, played Marco Polo and Toothpaste in the swimming pool
 made cities and sand couches,
 walked the beach for sea shells and sand dollars
 drove the convertible, went for morning walks and made Dustin give us a boot camp on the beach
 Rita's Water Ice every.single.night
 date night with Kathleen and Kyle in Virginia Beach
 covered ourselves in sand, looked for dolphins in the water (5 more push-ups)
Nate and Matt took surf lessons which ended in torrential downpour

Probably my favorite story of the week, was about Sadie's flip flops.  When I got back from the store Saturday afternoon, Sadie was very upset because she had lost one of her flip flops in the ocean.
All week long, I would pass by the lone flip flop and think I should pick it up and throw it away. BUT, since I was carrying a million beach chairs and toys, I would just leave it there like the lazy mother that I am.

Thursday morning, my mom took Matt for a morning walk along the beach when they came running back to the house with Sadie's long lost flip flop!!  Turns out it washed up the shore down by Dam Neck. 5 days later!!

The weather was perfect until the last day we were there, so we headed out early for North Carolina while my kids sobbed until we hit the state border. We miss the beach!! Luke still asks me why we came back to Arizona since he thought we were going to live on the beach forever. 

No comments: