layout

11/01/2009

Boo-tiful Halloween

Getting ready -- I can't imagine having to get more than 2 girls ready on any given day.
One of my favorite things about Arizona is the great Halloween weather -- no winter coats here. Some years it's sweltering, but this year was GORGEOUS.

I have better pictures of the 3 of them, but I love Sadie's enthusiasm
Along with the perfect weather, comes our perfect little neighborhood. We started the night off with a neighborhood potluck at the vacant lot across the street (I'm not sure I ever want anyone to build on that because it creates hours of entertainment for my kids). We had lots of neighbors and friends show up with camping chairs. I always love when the older neighbors without kids at home come out and hang too!



After about an hour, we headed out Trick-or-Treating. We only have two streets in our neighborhood, which is the PERFECT amount for little kids. We gets lots of candy, but not obscene amounts, see all our neighbors and don't get exhausted/bored from walking around in uncomfy shoe. Ellie and Nate took off with the Olpins so Sadie and I took our time and chatted with different friends as we walked along.

The end of the street is always the best because all the people who came to the party, but don't live in the neighborhood are lined up in camping chairs so it's just one long row of candy, including Dustin and Luke who stayed out with the crowd to chat and hand out our candy. We had two pieces left at the end of the night -- HOORAY for the perfect amount.

An hour later we were done and out bag were full (our neighbors are too generous with their handfuls of candy bars) so we piled in the car with Casey and her kids and headed over to the Martin's Spook Alley. Sadie *thought* she wanted to go in and then FREAKED out, Ellie loved it, and Nate skipped it this year and chased around a little girl from his Pre-school instead.Bought this costume on 75% off Target sale last year, Sadie's costume is from my friend Beth years ago and Luke's is from when Ellie was a baby. SO proud of my Halloween frugalness. I did buy Nate's despite having TWO other Spiderman costumes.
By a little after 8 we were at home with Bailey and Brady watching a short Halloween movie and sorting and trading candy. Luke was really set on rolling over to get Sadie's candy.
Poor Sadie is not trading savvy. The kids were trying to trade her jolly ranchers for her chocolate candy bars. BAD TRADE! But all Sadie would say is, "Sure!" I finally had to get involved before Ellie got her hands on all of Sadie's kit kats. I don't know why it matters that much since in one more day I'm dumping all the candy into one bowl so I can pack up their Halloween bags.

17 comments:

Michelle said...

Looks like you guys had a gread Halloween. It was kinda sad around here this year. The neighborhood has just gotten started when the rains came down and curtailed the trick or treating. Too bad Sadie wasn't here -- we have an entire bag of kit kats. Just another reason for her to move in with her grandparents! Love you All

Kathleen said...

i love these pictures. my nieces and nephews are all so beautiful! i give you 5 gold stars for the hair-dos. looks like fun!! i love you!

Danika said...

I can't even imagine having more than ONE girl to get ready on any given day! They are so much more time, work, and drama...

And I love the candy sorted into piles by type. Totally something I used to do!

The Tyler's said...

Stop it right now and send that first pic of Sadie to gap for her modeling shoot!! I can't get enough of her. And I love that she still wants to come to my house.
They all looked great in their costumes. The pot luck sounded so much fun. I love Luke zoning in on that candy..too cute!

lynette said...

Your Halloween troop is adorable as always! And I'm seriously jealous at your hair skills--your girls hair always looks so cute!!! Happy Halloween and happy candy eating!

Chelsea said...

I agree with Jill. Send that pic somewhere STAT! She's waaaay too pretty.
All the kids looked so great. And uhm...is that a row of marshmallows that Luke is rolling into? Who hands out marshmallows. No offense....is that safe?! I'm sure on your neighborhood it is actually.

Lara Neves said...

Happy Halloween! I love your frugal costumes, they turned out wunderbar!

And Sadie...she's growing up, and I am in love with her dimples. Gorgeous.

ajoachim said...

Boo-tiful indeed!!

Lisa Brown said...

I am all about frugal costumes this year too :). We resued everything. I love Sadie's Cinderella - it is super authenic with the blue headband and not having her wear a crown - love it!

And I pile all the candy into one box too. They got so much this year, I may take some of it out for Christmas stockings . . . who's to know?

Rach said...

You live on the coolest street! Sadie is so cute in her costume. Maybe next year I will make my kids stick to our neighborhood for trick or treating, they brought home a TON of candy.

ASHLEY said...

I agree with Kathleen - if only all moms of girls could be this good with hair! Sadie's Cinderella costume makes me jealous. PS I sent you a shower invite. They are not as cute as your homemade ones would be - just a warning!!! :) Can't wait to see you, Kathleen and O in Feb!

Dave, Bonnie, and Taten said...

Sounds like so much fun. Your kids look darling.

Casey said...

Okay you got way better pictures than I did! It was a fun night huh? I loved it! Working 11a-11p tomorrow (Tuesday)...I'll try to call ya in the morning, otherwise I'll call ya Wednesday. You need to come with me to pick out bunco prizes...it's at my house Thursday. I was thinking Hobby Lobby?

Brenda Janda said...

Too much fun. You guys are the best!!!!

The Bullocks said...

We do have obscene amounts of candy at our house and guess who's eating it all!!!! chubby little me!
I"m so jealous of your weather. This is the time of year I start to get so mad a Utah.
I love the princess costumes, they are so precious. I love that Cinderella choker. Your girls are so beautiful.

Rickie said...

Sadie and Ellie look so beautiful. Logan wants to know if he can take Sadie to the ball? Sadie is just a sweet trader...its because she "follows Jesus." LOL

Laurel and Trev said...

Love the pictures. Your kids are so gorgeous!!