layout

8/02/2010

Wide Open Spaces

Yes, right after we drove from Arizona all the way to Idaho (with a few fun stops on the way), we got back in the car and headed to Wyoming. We're crazy, but it was totally worth it.

My mom and Kristine have a childhood friend, Dee, who has a raft and offered to take our families down the Snake River. If you've ever gone rafting out of Jackson (Hoback Junction) you'll know what I'm talking about.

The first trip down the river was Dee, the big kids, me, my bro and sis and our spouses, while my parents and Aunt and Uncle stayed with all the babies (a 3 month old, a 5 month old and a 12 month old) and Sadie and Allie (I think we owe them big time). All the kids ready to go! Nate did not like the strap that went through is legs, but SAFETY FIRST.Here I am demonstrating to the kids what to do if they fall over and need us to rescue them. After last year's parasailing incident, we've learned to prepare for "This will never happen. . ." situations.

The kids did really well, especially at first when the rapids were pretty tame. As we started hitting some bigger ones and taking in water, Nate got a little scared. We switched him from the front, where he was getting the full force of the water, to the middle and I'm so glad we did. Right after that we hit lunch counter and we hit it hard. My brother was in the front and almost, fell out, Nate bounced back and my sister in law Amy grabbed him on his way out of the boat all the while the rest of us were trying to paddle us out. I think that scared him pretty badly, but he managed to put on a brave face for the rest of the run.

After we finished, we switched off and the moms stayed with the little ones, plus Nate who decided he didn't want to go down again. I couldn't blame him. So off we sent the next group Meanwhile, we had set up camp in a nice shady spot where the kids could run around and play while we ate.Nate decided to go "hiking." He left a juice box in case he couldn't find his way back. Unfortunately he left his juice box right by where we were sitting and really did get lost back in the woods and couldn't find us.

After the last group went and everyone had eaten we decided to head home via Jackson. There was a really bad accident so the traffic was horrific, but we did manage to hit the Alpine Slide.
I was surprised none of my kids freaked out going up the ski lifts since they've never been on one before. I really need to get those kids skiing! Nate was mainly concerned about losing his shoes -- which is funny because I remember worrying about the same thing as a kid.

We finally made it home just in time to pack up the cars and get everyone ready for Yellowstone the next morning. After a few too many days in the car and not enough naps, I decided Luke and I should stay home for him to get some sleep, so I don't know much about what happened up there.

They spent the night in cabins right by Old Faithful
Allie and Sadie were in love with the little bear soaps and made little houses for them out of tissues.
Fishing on the Shoshone

Plus the normal Yellowstone fun, like stink pots and wild life! One morning they got to see a wolf come and kill a buffalo, and then a mama bear come and scare the wolf off so she could feed her little bear cubs. Not many people can say they've seen that!

6 comments:

Brenda Janda said...

That sounds like and amazing trip.
Glad Nate is good. He's a tough little guy.
Missed ya Sunday hope Luke is feeling better.
I am sure life is back to normal and the vacation felt like a dream.
Thanks for sharing.

Meredith said...

I have the best memories of a Yellowstone trip when I was 7 or so. I can't wait to take my family there. And I love rafting. It has been so long. So glad no one got tossed out - Nate would have really freaked.

Unknown said...

You guys are so brave!! I've been rafting before and fallen out--it's pretty scary, but very fun too ;D

AZ Hey-mon said...

Looks and sounds like so much fun! I love Ellie's face where she is holding up the fish.

Lisa said...

i love rafting! that was one of my favorite vacations growing up. so fun!

Anonymous said...

I would like to exchange links with your site dustandmaddy.blogspot.com
Is this possible?