layout

1/09/2011

Happy New Year!

Shortly after Christmas my computer started acting funny and it ended up crashing. Dustin went to take it in and decided to buy me a new lap top. A MacBook Air to be exact. I have no idea how much it cost, but Dustin keeps telling the children that it was cheaper to give birth to them than to buy this computer so they are not allowed to have any food or drinks around it. And really -- it may have been cheaper, but did he actually go through the emotional and physical burden of carrying 4 babies for a grand total of almost THREE entire years?? Including one natural child birth in there and let's not even talk about what comes after it. Then I think he should probably not compare the cost of things to giving birth. . . but I digress!

Needless to say I was feeling really guilty about this new computer so I let it sit in a box while I decided whether or not I should keep it. It sat in that box for almost two weeks before Dustin opened it last night and *forced* me to use it (and by force I mean, it's open so it would be even more of a waste of money if I didn't actually use it now that we can't return it -- right?).

And this is a long introduction for why I haven't blogged New Years Eve yet. I didn't have a computer and I was using my phone for everything.

Our New Year's Eve tradition is to head over for appetizers and desserts at the Haymond's house. Last year we rang in the new year with Nate vomiting everywhere, so I knew already 2010 was going to be the best year yet.

Top 5 Reasons New Year's Eve 2010 Rocked

1. The company
We still missed the Maroneys but this year the Christensens were in town so between all their kids and the Haymonds (12 kids) everyone had a friend to entertain them.Also, Brenna has a sweet new baby, Aly, so Dustin and I spent the night fighting over who got to hold her.

2. The Food
All my favorites, but the best part was getting rid of my lemon bundt cake. A few days before we had a party for Jill and Noah who were in town. I wanted to use the new cake stand Dustin got me for Christmas, so I planned on making a lemon bundt cake. The recipe called for 2 tablespoons of lemon juice but everyone recommended using a cup of lemon juice instead (curse you All Recipes and your reviews and all the people who have to alter every single ingredient). So "everyone" must have used store bought lemon juice and not fresh off the trees in my backyard fresh squeezed lemon juice because that cake was TART. So tart I couldn't serve it.

I was so bummed because I had spent a lot of time on that cake and I hate to see anything with sugar go to waste, but even I couldn't stomach it. I made the brilliant decision to turn it into a trifle to take on New Year's Eve hoping the pudding and cream and berries would tone it down. It turned out delicious and I felt like I had finally done justice to my baked goods.

I also learned a lesson -- never listen to anyone on All Recipes. Follow the recipe.

3. Just Dance 2
Cue the ridiculous amount of pictures from people playing the game:


We had so much fun playing this game and I love that the whole family can play! There is a continuous play mode where it just randomly gives you songs to dance to so the moms ended up doing 7 or 8 songs in a row before we quit. Between the dancing and all the food/sugar I ate, I felt ill for a good half our. Must carbo load next time I plan on playing this game.

4. The entertainment
We played Apples to Apples Jr with the kids, Craig had a pinata ready to go FULL of candy,there were fireworks AND everyone made it to midnight. . . Plus whatever games the kids played while they were off running around. The five hours went by way too fast.

5. My family
I was so grateful to have some down time with my whole family happy and healthy. Dustin had just survived the YMs campout in a blizzard and all the kids had been sick for the last two weeks. . . it seemed like we were never going to get to enjoy the holidays as a family. I'm happy to say everyone was well and happy as could be. Even Luke who accidentally gotten woken up right before Midnight.

The only way 2011 could top last year?? Better weather. New Year's Eve 2010 was slightly frigid.
I can't wait to see what 2011 has in store! Happy New Year!!



6 comments:

Amber said...

Happy New Year! We played the Just Dance on the Wii New Years Eve too with the Ryan side and it was so.much.FUN! I have been wanting to go and get it for our wii!

Love all the pics!

Lisa said...

yay for the new year and your new, fun, computer!!

Lara Neves said...

You have just convinced me to buy Just Dance 2. Love those pictures. And if Sadie can do it, so can I. Maybe.

Joel has a Macbook from his work. I love that thing. I want my own, but unfortunately, it costs more than having a child. Uh. Well, monetarily, that is. Otherwise, it's totally cheap. :)

Unknown said...

Happy New Year Guys! Miss ya tons. Hope you are enjoying your new computer ;D

Lisa Brown said...

I probably would have done the same thing with a new fancy computer :). I hope you are having a blast with it, now that it is open and you have no choice ;).

Sounds like a fantastic New Years Eve!

AZ Hey-mon said...

Oh my Gosh love the pics! Is it time for another party or what?! I also think Dustin's (Craig's) leather 80's coat needed a shout out. Thanks for partying it up with us!