layout

2/12/2013

Rematch

When we were at the cabin, I introduced our friends to the very fun game: Celebrity. I wouldn't say everyone in our group of friends is competitive, but there are definitely more than a few of us in the bunch.  I might not even be the worst!

To make a long story short -- the boys kept beating us.  The game got heated -- why did the boys care so much if they were beating us so badly.  Is U2 one word or two?  What about hyphenated words? Who the heck is Urban Meyers?  Is Emily Maynard really a celebrity?  Finally the last round I put in "Louisa May Alcott" (author of Little Women, but I know you already knew that).  Which *I* drew and Karen guessed.  The next thing I know, the boys are *challenging* the name.  What is this, Scrabble?  I can't help if they're illiterate.

We threw the name out and continued play.  And then we wasted an entire turn trying to guess J. Golden Kimball.  Who, if you're anything like the girls on our team, you've probably never heard of.  Apparently he was an LDS apostle who swore profusely.  CHALLENGE!  In the end, the boys still won and we left slightly bitter.  A google search will come up with almost 4 million hits for good old Louisa.  Half a million for Elder Kimball.

Fast forward a week or two and I'm out shopping for old books to use in an art project for the 5th grade art class at school, when what should appear. . .  A copy of Little Women.  Karen was with me, so I asked her if we should buy a copy for the boys and we laughed.  And then I saw *another* copy.  And then *another* copy.  So I bought them and we came up with a terribly clever plan, relying on the fact that we would be able to find 2 more copies.  We went to 3 more thrift stores and came home with a few games and even a 10 Plagues passover kit (similar to this), but no books.  We lucked out when Karen hit the Friends of the Library sale and found 2 more copies.

I set up a rematch.  We made up rules.  I had "prizes."  We made pizookies.  I am sad to say we lost.  Again.  I am not sad about the priceless reactions as the boys opened up the bag full of their winnings.  Mike Bryner picked it up so gleefully, "It's heavy you guys!"  And then he pulled out one copy of Little Women after another.

No comments: