layout

11/30/2013

Thanksgiving

Last year was our craziest and maybe most fun Thanksgiving ever. This year, on the other hand, was the exact opposite and I enjoyed every last low key second.With nothing to really prepare for the next day, I spent Wednesday getting the Christmas decorations up.


I woke up around 5:30 to go running with my girlfriends before our heading to our Turkey Trot at 7 am. Or should I say our *almost* Turkey Trot. The city decided to close the canals to do some upgrades which meant nowhere to run. We did a quick revamp and ended up having some small races at the church park instead.

This meant way less work for all of us. PLUS, the kids are growing up and want to help. We made them make all the signs and run most of the races this year. Big kids are the best.

We had a fun run with some physical challenges, sack races, a 3-legged race, and my personal. . . beat the turkey. Complete with dressed up turkeys.
 

 
 The boys raced against each other, but were beaten by Brenna and her twin sister. Dustin and Mike decided they couldn't let that happen, so they challenged the twins to a race.

 
 Winners

Even the adults wanted to get in and try to catch the turkeys
 

The best part is just hanging out with friends. 

After the races were over we had a pie eating contest which only children would participate in. Grown ups are not fun.
 

 
None of my kids won. Ellie couldn't even get past the whipped cream before she gave up and Luke wouldn't even try.

 We had planned on playing kickball, but everyone was having so much fun and the guys ended up with their own Turkey Bowl.

Thanksgiving dinner was back out the Bryner's this year, for which I am eternally grateful. She is such an amazing hostess and I could never hope to compete with her. Dustin worked some magic with the birthday boy, the boys played some more football, and ate the most delicious rolls.
 
It was Kallen's birthday. I can't believe a year ago I was racing to the hospital to see him being born

My favorite part was the Thanksgiving play Sadie put together. She had planned on costumes, but I guess everyone decided on their own. Luke was the best turkey ever. Literally.  He hit every cue and knew every line ("Gobble gobble gobble").
 
We are a weird group and no one really likes pie. I ate a little pecan pie, but the biggest hit is always my lemon bars. Around 8 pm, we had eaten too much food, so we headed home to a clean and decorated house.


Since we had nothing else to do for the weekend we took it easy. Nate really wanted to see what Black Friday shopping was all about, so Dustin took the kids out while I wrapped presents.

 I let the kids put up ornaments on the Christmas tree, we saw Frozen, and went out to eat.
 
We are so very thankful for all of our blessings.

No comments: