layout

5/23/2005

I get Punk'd

Apparently Aunt Jo and Ellie share more than just disdain for emptying the dishwasher -- they are masters of working the bribe.

May 22nd, 6 pm. I'm talking to Dad on the phone. Ellie gets on briefly and talks to Papa. Of course when Grandma is on the phone, Ellie is at the height of silliness and she refuses to talk to her. So like all good mothers do, I offer Ellie a bribe -- if she'll talk to Grandma, I'll give her a lollipop. I know a dum-dum isn't as great as $15, but when you're three, they might as well be the same thing. Ellie is literally RUNNING to the phone to talk to Grandma. She's singing "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star," hamming up the way only Ellie can and then ends, "Bye. I love you too." I promptly reward her with a cherry sucker.

May 22nd, 6:45 pm. I'm talking with Great Grandma on the phone. Nate is babbling, "Dadadadadada," in his sweet little voice and so of course Great Grandma gets to hear. Ellie appears at my side, "I want to talk to Grandma." Imagine the look of shock on my face. Ellie is *asking* to talk on the phone? I don't even have to bribe her? Of course, I'm thrilled and hand Ellie the phone. "HiGrandma.I'mwatchingTV.Bye.Iloveyoutoo." Ellie squeals as she runs into the kitchen yelling, "LOLLIPOP."

And so I was Punk'd. . . by a three year old.

No comments: