layout

9/12/2010

California, here we come!

If you know me at all, you know that I am a planner. Like, start my Christmas cards in July kind of planner. So you can only imagine that vacations in the Rogers' family are likewise planned way in advance. The Tuesday before Labor Day, Dustin and I were out on a lunch date and Dustin was telling me he wanted to take a quick vacation to California because he had to fly out of town on Labor Day and he wanted to have some fun with the kids. The thought of such a last minute vacation made me sick.

Wednesday Dustin tells me to call our friends in Laguna and just *see* what they were doing for the weekend. I finally got a hold of Michelle around 4 in the afternoon and the next morning we set off for California. This is totally a Dustin thing and SO unlike me. However, we live according to my very organized and scheduled life 75% of the time, it was only fair Dustin got some spontaneity in his life.
Michelle and Tony were amazing hosts and the weekend was so nice and relaxing. We hung out, the kids never slept, went to the pool, hung out at the beach for hours on end (thank you private beaches)eat way too much, read, and had someone to chat with while I went running! The best part was the amazing weather.

I seriously love the beach. My kids just dig and dig for hours. And then when they were bored they ventured into the freezing cold water. Poor Sadie, the waves were a little stronger than she was. And, Luke chased the birds. Tony and Michelle are always so much fun to be around and our kids loved their kids. I don't think they made it to bed before 11 pm. Sadie and Lauren were a match made in heaven. Two adorable little divas. So petite! So much sass! So grown up! And Abby and Ellie have loved each other forever. I just wished they lived closer. Everything about Michelle is fabulous and she is the most amazing friend. Who else would let a family of 6 drop in on 24 hours notice??

Then to top off a fabulous weekend we had Sunday dinner with our college friends, The Pauls, house. I forgot to take pictures, but let's just say they are fantastic and the food was delicious. So pretty much the perfect trip. I still can't believe we went to California and didn't do anything touristy, but it was totally worth it for the relaxation and to see our friends. I count our friends as one of our greatest blessings and we are so lucky any time we get to see them and catch up.

1 comment:

Lisa Brown said...

How fun! Taking spontaneous vacations scares me to death too, but that is exactly what I am doing on Tuesday, but I am leaving my kids behind. The planner in me has gone into overdrive :).