layout

9/01/2011

Whoops!

I'll skip the excuses and get straight to the fun!

Real school started (not just Ellie's Playroom School) and we got back in the groove of getting dressed before 10 am, packing lunches, homework, after school activities. . . I decided that since I had agreed to be the Assistant Coordinator for Art Masterpiece this year, plus Sadie & Luke still at home that I would volunteer less in the classroom. I only signed up to help at a few parties in each class and teach Art Masterpiece for both once a month. Then came the desperate plea for more classroom volunteers. And following that came the news that Ellie didn't have a Class Mom. So needless to say, I've already put in a good 20 hours of school volunteer hours already.

We celebrated the First Day of School with a fun themed dinner. The kids came home to find the kitchen table decorated which was slightly poor planning on my part.
Ellie already had homework and Nate wanted a snack and I didn't want them to mess up the table before dinner, so I made them use the bar. They were both disgusted with me because they wanted to be under the paper airplanes.
However all was forgiven when I introduced the cootie catchers. We sat at the table for hours after dinner filling them out and playing with them.
And of course no Back to School Bash would be complete without an ode the greatest institute of eduction -- BYU. Dustin brought home a Cougar Paw Cake Pan from his trip to Utah. I know that is the worst decorating job ever, but I tried a new frosting recipe and it didn't quite set up right. It was the Best Frosting I Ever Had recipe which requires a level of patience I apparently do not have. It was obviously not the best frosting I have ever had.

Some of our favorite neighbors came for a visit (and yes, we had just seen them a week before in Virginia Beach, but we really do love them). I love when they come because it's a great excuse to get all the old neighbors together. Amy had us all over for a swim party.Of course we always forget to take a picture of all the kids, so here's a portion of them eating dinner. The next week we had a night out with just the Moms so we could actually catch up instead of chase kids (we have 24 kids between all of us).Forgive the hideous angle -- our waitress hated us. I seriously think she was independently wealthy and did not care what we tipped her. I am also thinking that was a wide angle lens because it is HORRIFIC. However, I will suffer through it because I love love my "freighbors." I will, however, be going on a crash diet before any more pictures will be taken of myself.

Luke ate a sandwich. Could it be because it was on a cow plate?? Yes, yes it was. I caved and bought Zoopals. Worth every.single.dollar.Luke is obsessed with animals. He can make any animal noise from turkeys to fish to dinosaurs. This has an upside because he is glued to any book with animals. The downside is all sacrament meeting he makes animal noises.

Somewhere in all this, Dustin and I celebrated out 12th wedding anniversary. Lucky me! Dustin bought me a new dress, a new purse, and a new necklace. I got him nothing. Why do men never listen when you say, "Let's not get each other anything"?? I wish we had pictures, but our poor sitter forgot she was babysitting, and then we were running late for our reservation. . .

Another fun night out with my girlfriends/our book club to see The Help. Have you ever tried to save 19 seats the weekend a movie comes out? Casey insisted it would not be crowded. I think we all know who was right.Loved the movie. Loved the book more. Love my girlfriend the most.

We learned to Hula at a fun Scout Activity at church. And since Nate hasn't gotten any face time, he gets to be the picture for this event.
Luke became the first member of our family to ever belong to an "Of the Month" Club. For Luke's birthday my parents enrolled him in the "Train of the Month" club and we have been having fun getting a new train in the mail each month. Between Dustin's church orders, Nate's LEGO club stuff and Luke's trains, the boys clearly get more mail than the girls. Someone send us girls a package -- PLEASE!

Sadie started preschool HOORAY! As enthusiastic as Sadie looks, we really do all love Miss Becky. Why else would this be the SIXTH year I sent a child there?She had a full month to wait after Nate and Ellie started school and everyday she would wake up and ask me what "fun" thing we were going to do today. Apparently running errands and going to the gym is not fun. On Sadie's approved list: going swimming, playing with friends, going out for lunch. . . About the only way I could appease her was copious amounts of trips to the library.She is much happier back with all of her friends. I vacillate between missing her funny little saying and sweet compliments and be glad she's not stealing food and leaving a hidden mess somewhere.

And then there have been the birthday parties, baptisms, temple trips, dinners with friends, game nights. . . It's been ridiculously hot so we have to make up our own fun to keep from getting cabin fever. Luckily there are always lots of swimming playdates and parties in Arizona. I can't wait for the three day weekend!!

9 comments:

Kathleen said...

THERE IS SO MUCH TO SAY:

1. That play school picture is going to make me cry. I wish *I* were in that (very well organized) play school room learning!! I think in my life I have spent HOURS with your kids playing play school and I LOVE it! I could cry I love that picture SOOOO much!

2. Cutest back to school table EVER. Please tell me how the scissors in the middle of the room worked out.

3. I think your cake looks terrific. Please bring it for your trip so we can pre game.

4. I want to see Jill's pregnant belly.

5. Why didn't you share the zoo pals plate idea with me? I'm kind of mad at you. I am buying those TODAY!

6. I wish I could come every month for MELS.

7. Nate's face is priceless in the hula picture... SO is Dustino's.

8. I love that train loving baby.

9. Sadie's first day of school picture: priceless.

10. LOVE THAT TRAIN LOVING BABY!!

Casey said...

I bought the HEFTY® ZOO PALS® FUNTENSILS® UTENSILS probably about 5 years ago and I love them! Perfect kid silverwear: lightweight, fun colors and animal shapes, and they last FOREVER even though they're plastic! Yes Bailey will start high school and pull out of her lunchbox a fruit cocktail AND a pink plastic flamingo spoon from 2005. Love all the pictures and witty writing.

Meghan, Carson and the Kiddos said...

Would you be so kind as to share the info of where your parents found the train of the month club? I have a little boy who would die over that!

The Farnsworth's said...

How cute are you and the back to school themed dinner! Great idea!

Lara Neves said...

I need to go to bed after reading all that! Love catching up on your life and your kids. Your school feast looked fantabulous even if the frosting wasn't the best ever. I hate recipes that make such false claims!

I'll be thinking of you at kickoff tomorrow--Rise and Shout!

Anonymous said...

Back to school dinner = Great idea :O) xx

Amy F. said...

Fun summer!! And you made my summer awesome with the swim party and girls night out!! I love you guys!! Can't wait until next time!

Lisa Brown said...

I am so behind on reading people's blogs, that I was almost relieved that you hadn't posted much. Now that I am caught up, however, you should write much more often :).

And I had a similar experience, and found out that both of my kids classes didn't have a room mother, but luckily I didn't have to it for both, since someone else stepped up to help with Lily's class. It is crazy how much time I spend at the school, and I don't have two still at home like you - no wonder you are crazy busy :).

Arlene said...

So sad that you hated the frosting. It really is good - you just need to do something else while the mixer beats it to death. Or come over here and I'll make it for you. Lots of fun pictures.

The picture of Karen, and the squatting...made me think of a lil' part of the book/movie. :)