layout

8/01/2013

Coming Home

Coming home from vacation was hard.  We had had two glorious weeks of cousins, sun, dessert every night and Dustin all day, every day. It didn't help that everything seemed to fall apart when we got home.

We landed about 11 am, hopped off our flight, dropped off our bags at home and turned down our AC before we headed out for lunch (complete with a pizookie), Despicable Me 2 and school shopping.  When we returned home about 5 pm I noticed our room was still freakishly hot.  And then we realized our back AC unit wasn't working.

The whole way home I had been telling myself it would be OK to fly back to the crazy heat and school because I would be home.  I had a picture in my head of putting the kids to bed, snuggling up into my bed with Dustin and watching all the shows we had DVRed while we were gone and waited 2 weeks to see.

Well, I spent that first night sleeping on a pull out couch (thankfully we have one of those aerobed ones, so it was actually really comfortable) in the living room while all the kids piled into Ellie's room for a mondo sleepover (all the kids' rooms share our AC unit except for Ellie's).

On top of that, I didn't get to watch any shows because out DVR had gone on the fritz while we were gone.  So I had a grand total of 3 shows that actually recorded. That meant the next few days were full of phone calls and repair men.  We also had Meet the Teacher, overdue library books, trips to Costco to fill the house with food, activities for the kids, dinner with friends, a YW lesson to prepare (but in the mess of fixing the cable they switched off our internet), planning our back to school family dinner. . . oh, and we weren't getting any mail. 

When I got into the Post Office it turned out we were getting so many packages that they had called the Police to do a quick search of the house perimeter and make sure no one was dead. Lesson learned -- hold our mail when we go on vacation from now on.

We also needed to squeeze in some school shopping since school was starting in 4 days.  Everyone needed new back packs, lunch bags, water bottles and first day of school clothes. . .
 I took the girls to the mall and we ended up purchasing stuff at H&M, Carter's, GAP, Justice, Children's Place, Tilly's, Dillard's, Macy's, and Nordstrom's and then hit Target on the way home.

I wish I had just stayed on vacation!

Luke, however, was ready to come home and get some sleep after all of his non-stop energy.
Every night after dinner I would finish cleaning up the kitchen to find Luke asleep some random place in the house. We've only been home for 2 weeks and I already feel like I'm ready for another vacation.

No comments: