layout

8/19/2013

Mad about Musicals

Not so secret fact -- I cannot sing. I don't have the world's worst voice, but no one's ever requested that I sing either. And yet I cannot help singing (usually the wrong words to add insult to injury). If it's a musical, help us all because I will not stop. My Grandmother owned a copy of every musical ever made into a movie and spent many happy summers holed up in her basement eating homemade cookies and fresh baked bread in front of Doris Day singing her heart out. When I was in High School I took the Fine Arts course every semester because we would study musicals and go watch them (there was also a yearly trip to Paris but I'm sure that had nothing to do with it).

And so I am telling you, dear readers (ie my sister who already knows this about me), that I have not met a musical I didn't like. This includes even high school versions of Disney made-for-TV musicals. I, along with two of my girlfriends, took our girls to see one of our favorite Seniors in High School Musical. Both Jill and Maren's oldest girls are Sadie's age, so I was slightly horrified to learn that they had never even seen the movie before. I'm not ashamed to say that I have most of the songs memorized (I will blame it on Ellie's kindergarten obsession).

There were a few rough patches for the leads, but all in all it was a fun night. I was blown away by some of the young talent.  Sadie, however, is quite the theater critic and was not impressed by the actor who played Troy Bolton.  She turned to me at one point and said, "That boy does not look like Troy Bolton and he certainly doesn't SING like Troy Bolton."

She was also extremely worried about the amount of making out. "I hope they're dating in real life because otherwise the kissing would be awkward."
 
All of the girls were obsessed with the actress who played Sharpay and they made me take them up to meet her after the play was over. The girl was super sweet and asked the Sadies what their names were. My Sadie replied, brilliantly, "We both have the same name!" We then reminded her to say what her name was. The entire was home we got to hear about how Sharpay said she loved their outfits.

And in true Disney fashion -- they've produced another tv musical that my kids love -- Teen Beach Movie. For two weeks straight I watched that movie every single day with Luke even though the big kids were at school.
 
Ellie may have a secret ambition to be a costume designer because she is always talking the kids into letting her dress them up and do their make up.

I'm just sad because my kids will probably have outgrown Disney by the time their next musicale debuts.

1 comment:

Lisa Brown said...

So, you won't judge me that my ringtone on my phone is "Fabulous" from High School Musical 2? And has been since the movie came out? Fun times :). It is always good to find someone just like me when it comes to musicals :).