layout

2/13/2015

GAL-entine's Day

“What’s Galentines Day? It’s only the best day of the year! Every Feb 13th, my lady friends and I leave our husbands and our boyfriends at home and we come and kick it breakfast-style. Ladies celebrating ladies. It’s like Lilith Fair, minus the angst. Plus frittatas.”  Leslie Knope


I think everyone should celebrate Galentine's Day. I know that my friends make me a better mom and wife and I value their positive contributions to my life.

C.S. Lewis has said, “In friendship...we think we have chosen our peers. In reality a few years' difference in the dates of our births, a few more miles between certain houses, the choice of one university instead of another...the accident of a topic being raised or not raised at a first meeting--any of these chances might have kept us apart. But, for a Christian, there are, strictly speaking no chances. A secret master of ceremonies has been at work. Christ, who said to the disciples, "Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you," can truly say to every group of Christian friends, "Ye have not chosen one another but I have chosen you for one another." The friendship is not a reward for our discriminating and good taste in finding one another out. It is the instrument by which God reveals to each of us the beauties of others.”

I have been blessed with amazing friends. Last year when I was down and out they brought me meals, loved my children, came to buoy up my spirits and loved me even when I wasn't quite myself. I was so especially grateful to be able to celebrate them this year.
 
For the occasion, we had a waffle bar because Leslie Knope always says,“We need to remember what’s important in life. Friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, work. It doesn’t matter. But work is third.”
 
And then we just had fun! It felt so good to just relax and know that we were surrounded by so many people who love us despite our flaws.   

At dinner everyone gave a toast. Some were funny and some brought tears to our eyes, but I know that we all realized how lucky were are to have each other. Women need women. 

No comments: