layout

6/21/2009

Two Weeks

I swear the first two weeks of newborndom are the worst, so I'm happy to report that ours are OVER!

On Thursday (the official two week mark) Luke was up to 6 lbs 5 oz. He still hasn't met his birth weight though, so we'll go in for another weight check on Monday and hopefully we'll be on our way to 7 pounds! If he reaches his birth weight, we won't have to go back in until our month appointment (MONDAY UPDATE: 6 lbs 11.5 oz HOORAY)! He will have to stay on the high calorie formula for at least a month, so I've given up all hopes of nursing. I cried a lot, but now that I've accepted it, I feel like my sanity has returned.

Luke's skinniest day at 5 lbs 14 oz. Sadie loves to cuddle Luke or his diapers. She'll take either one. And I can't blame her because those newborn diapers are so soft!

Last week we pretty much spent most of our free time feeding Luke and running to the Doctor's. The kids got lots of play time in with friends -- I seriously am so grateful for my amazing friends. Especially when they take all three of my kids on top of all of their own kids. I did get our pool put up in the backyard so the kids have been out there a lot.

I think we've gotten days and nights straightened out and he's figured out how to sleep without being held. He's also started eating a little bit more and a little faster.

While everyone is celebrating Father's Day today, we celebrated a few weeks ago so it was a low key morning around here. Ellie decided to put on makeup and pretend she was a Rock Star. She is my ultimate helper and as much as I hate the fighting that sometimes happens, I love having her home with me. Even when she rolls her eyes at me or informs me that I can't be tired because I get "plenty of sleep." If only!

Sadie is our little songbird. Everything gets sung. Today when she saw Ellie was wearing her Easter dress, she had to get hers on too. She was singing, "I'm going to look like Ellie." And yesterday while she was helping me move the laundry from the washer to the dryer she was singing, "I'm so happy. I'm so happy." I wish laundry made me happy. I also wish I could get her to sit still. She is ALWAYS going. Always talking, always playing. . .always making a mess. She loves any sort of dolls right now -- Barbies, baby dolls, Polly Pockets, Little People, Doll house. . . even her food becomes a family. Still a vegetarian.

Nate has been perfecting his light saber skills. He is definitely growing up as trains have made way for Super Heroes, Transformers, Bakugan and Star Wars. I remember watching shows like Backyardigans, Little Einsteins or Mickey Mouse Clubhouse after the other kids were born. Now it's Phineas and Ferb and Spy Kids movies. What the heck?? When did Disney Channel and Noggin become baby channels?

18 comments:

Danika said...

I'm so glad he's gaining weight. I quit nursing Tyler at 9 days old because I had mastisis and it was excruciating. I felt so guilty! But then when he was weaned and I got over the guilt I was so much happier. Kevin could take a night shift so I slept more and was a happier mom. And I could get away for longer stretches of time so I was a more refreshed wife/mom. It also turned out to be a real blessing when I ended up in the hospital for 12 hours when he was 7 weeks old.

Melissa said...

I am so glad things are going better. I feel like I need six weeks to even function after I have a baby. Your kids are darling!

Casey said...

Okay the picture of Sadie and Luke is so precious! Glad everything's going better over there.

Kathleen said...

gorgeous as always.

Janel said...

SO cute! That is so cute that Sadie will cuddle Luke like that. I want to come see him!

swampbaby said...

Best wishes for Luke to start chunking up. I agree that the first few weeks blow and a lot of that for me is because of the nursing, so in some ways you can look at that as a good thing to get a free pass out of. Hang in there!

Kerry said...

Phineas and Ferb is THE BEST. Even if I've seen the episode 12 times I still sit down and watch it with the kids.

Yep, and sadly Matthew has given up on trains. He announced the other day that he wanted his trains to be put in the basement. Awww. And yes... it's ALL about Star Wars and Darth Vader. He also sleeps with a Lego catalog and only talks about Legos. Why are these boys getting so big?!?

Sadie looks HUGE next to Luke! When did she get so big?!? They all look BIG!

I was happy to see new Luke pictures!! He's so adorable! Glad to hear that he seems to be doing better with gaining weight too. :)

Rickie said...

Way to go Luke! Before you know it, he'll be a chunker like Avery, I'm sure! I'm glad the formula is helping him, but what a crazy ordeal you've been through these last few weeks. I'm just sorry I've been of no help to you. But, I"m so excited because we are all feeling better and are back in town. Sooo...get ready, I"ll be calling you. Can't wait to have your kids come play!

Kat said...

Oh he is so cute!! I'm glad he is doing better! Hopefully today's result will show he continuing to improve!

Steve and Sarah said...

I am so glad little Luke is gaining weight...how stressful.Your kids are so cute...I love Sadies singing! so cute

AZ Hey-mon said...

Luke is a champion eater now. yeah! Seriously, how can you stand having such fun, cute kids.

Rach said...

You're right, the first 2 weeks are rough. I'm glad he is chunking up. And, I understand all about the Bakugan and Star Wars at my house. We watch Phineas and Ferb too!!

Lisa Brown said...

I'm so glad he is gaining now, and I can't imagine how sad it must have been to give up nursing your baby. Sometimes life changes our plans I guess.

It sounds like the rest of your kids are doing awesome :). And I am trying to hold on to Playhouse Disney and Nick Jr for as long as possible :). Why do our kids have to grow up????

Unknown said...

My kids LOVE Phineas and Ferb! So, I know what you mean--totally. Your family is very precious.

I'm so sorry for all this tough stuff you've been going through. Isn't it interesting how different each child is? You've nursed all your other kids and the 4th one is totally different. Crazy! But you are a trooper :) Love ya!

Jenni said...

I hope Luke is doing better. He is such a cutie. That is nerve racking when they are not gaining weight. Hang in there!!! What cute pictures of all the kiddos!

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear Luke is doing better. My nephew had problems with sucking. They had to get a special nipple for him to eat. You have 4 adorable children!!

Rogers said...

WOW! so glad Luke gained some weight! Love the rock star and star wars hero. Your a amazing mom I wish I were more like you!

Chelsea said...

Carter keeps asking to watch Wizzard of Waverly Place. He LOVES LOVES LOVES those big boy shows. And Cash is very quickly getting too big. Sad...
I'm hoping going to Disneyland will help them get back their inner 3 and 4 year old selves.
I know I have said it a zillion times today...but I am soo excited for the boys to play soon!!!