layout

6/14/2009

Wet n' Wild

It's been a wild ride over at the Rogers' house as we adjust to summer and a new baby.

Luke had proven to be a little food stinker. He doesn't like to eat. Each day his latch got a little worse and his suck a little weaker and his weight was dropping, so we started supplementing. Well now he seems to have an aversion to not only nursing, but also the bottle. There's nothing like force feeding your baby hoping he gains some weight. It can take me an hour to get an ounce down him. Anyone ever had a baby refuse to eat?? Tomorrow we go in for another weight check, so cross your fingers we're up instead of down again. Needless to say -- I've been a hormonal mess. Cannot wait to feel normal again! Luke being less than thrilled with going for a walk. Same reaction at feeding time.

Meanwhile the weather has been gorgeous for Arizona summertime. We've had swim lessons, been learning to ride bikes without training wheels, hanging out with neighbors and friends. . . in between my permanent residence at the Pediatricians.

Nate is doing great and swimming across the entire pool by himself and Ellie can now do the breast stoke and back stroke on top of everything else. We took lessons with my oldest friends' kids -- they're so cute together. All the kiddos
Lindsay, Ellie and Hayden
Nate, Caroline and Brynleigh

Friday night we BBQed with most of our favorite neighbors and Noah promised the kids a water balloon fight in the morning. They set up the pool and the kids played until everyone was ready. The girls Nate's team -- although they all turned on each other after about 2 minutes.

Saturday night we went swimming with friends. Recognize the hippo?? By "we" I meant the kids while Luke and I hung out in the shade. Did you know you can't go swimming for 4-6 weeks after having a baby? Not that I want to be in a swimsuit at the moment, but still a bummer. Luckily we've got some time till the beach house.

Oh, and Nate managed a haircut in there too.

7 comments:

Michelle said...

Ah Nate -- what a handsome dude! We are so proud of your bike-riding skills!

Sorry to hear that Luke is being a booger, I'm sure things will get better soon!

Can I say thanks to all of Maddy's wonderful friends who are taking such good care of the entire family! You have earned a spot in my heart!

Love to all, Grandma

Danika said...

We are having a hard time adjusting to summer...and I don't even have a newborn to blame it one! I hope you can figure out a solution for his eating soon. Could it be a reflux/pain issue? I've never had a child with it, but I've heard lots of kids do. My kids always did better on formula and I was a happier mommy because Kevin could take a night shift & I could sleep. Good luck!

Amber Miskin said...

I wish I could help Maddy. Maybe he's just being stubborn. :)Skyler is now of nursing because of a lot of pain on my end, but he's refusing the bottle flat out and is only eating cereal and baby food. I hope he starts eating very soon. The kids look great and very happy!

Chelsea said...

Poor little guy. My guess would be reflux too. Cash had TERRIBLE reflux and stomach issues and refused to eat for a long time. Call me if you want to chat about it. We have tried every medicine and formula out there.
If I were there, I'd run to GNC for you, but since I am not...send someone to get him some Gripe water. Hopefully it will be able to just help calm him down some to eat. That sometimes would help Cash.
Sorry you have to go through this. My hormones are still out of whack from all his eating problems..almost 3 years later! But I will think positive and hope he is just being a stinker. GOOD LUCK...
Yea for pools to keep the other kids entertained!!

Holly said...

That picture is SO sad!!! I'm sorry that you're having such a hard time with Luke...and again... I wish I lived closer so I could help you! Hope everything turns around soon!!!
And...ummmmm...what beach house??? Did you plan a reunion without me? When are we going??? :o)

Lisa Brown said...

Oh, that is so hard that Luke isn't eating. One of my friend's babies did that - she even switched totally to bottle feeding, which didn't help, and she is 4 now and still hardly eats. Crazy.

If it is a sucking thing, and even with the bottle, could there be something wrong or painful in his mouth? My sister is a lactation consultant, and and RN, and I remember her having to "cup feed" breast milk to some babies for a little while, to help work out the problems. I'll keep you in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

Sending you lots of love, prayers and positive vibes Maddy. Remember this: you are an experienced and competent mommy. You've got this nailed. You are a pro.

Please try not to stress too much cuz you know it's just part of the vicious cycle. Can't "let down" he senses it, won't nurse, and on and on. If only those raging hormones would calm down!

If Luke needs some extra help through this, it's only going to be better in the long run. I know you're stressed. You are so blessed with so many people who love you and help you. Please don't be too hard on yourself. Just breathe in, accept the help, exhale and KNOW you and Luke will be okay. You will. You are a wonderful mother.