layout

6/10/2009

Well, it's been a week!

Last Wednesday I ended up sick as a dog: fever, chills and body aches. I told my sister, "Today's the first day I've absolutely wanted this kid out of me." Lesson learned: Be careful what you wish for ;D

WARNING: BORING LABOR STORY! Skip to the pictures if you don't care

Sure enough Wednesday night (11:15 pm) I woke up to my water breaking and proceeded to run around the house trying to pack a hospital bag (after being overly prepared for Sadie, I had become superstitious about getting ready for the hospital too early -- my theory is the grosser you look and the less prepared you are, the more likely you are to go into labor). I did a great packing job -- like pajama pants, but no top and a tooth brush but no tooth paste. At least we got the camera this time around.

Meanwhile Dustin called our awesome neighbor Jill who was sweet enough to come spend the night with our kids while we jetted off to the hospital. I wasn't having a lot of contractions, but after Sadie's 1.5 hour labor, I wanted to get there in time for an epidural and I knew they couldn't turn me away if my water had broken.

Well apparently they take their sweet time if you walk in smiling. After an hour and a half, we were finally off to the room and my beloved epidural. The whole time I'm asking, "How long before the IV empties and I can get the drugs?" Luckily, I wasn't having regular contractions, so it wasn't even that miserable. In fact, even once I got the epidural the contractions hadn't kicked in, so they put me on some pitocin and 5 or 6 contractions later, I was ready to push that kid out. One push later and Luke arrived at 2:24 am.

The next day we were headed home and Luke quickly learned that being a 4th kid means getting touched. . . a lot.


He also decided that since there were so many of us, someone should be holding him at all times while he sleeps.


I'm pretty sure I am never going to sleep again but Dustin keeps reassuring me that it's always like this and eventually he'll figure out that night is for sleeping and sleeping involves something other than my arms. I know he's right, but I'm too tired to actually remember anything other than the last time I fed the baby. Heck, I can barely remember his name sometimes. The other day I looked at Ellie after calling him both Nate and Sadie and said, "What did we name him?"

I just have to remember that the poor little guy is even more confused than I am.


And a special thanks to my AMAZING friends/family/neighbors who have taken my kids, brought me food, called to see how I was doing, left sweet blog comments. . . your love and friendship is overwhelming. I'm so grateful to have you all in my life.

32 comments:

Kathleen said...

that is one gorgeous baby. i am sad these pictures are lacking a close up on lamb ears. your children are seriously beautiful. i've never seen nate looking so calm, ever.

mystery boo papa said...

perfect. just keep those pics coming. what a brood!

Mike and Kimmy said...

He is precious!!! Congrats! He is absolutely perfect.

Janel said...

He is adorable!!! I think he looks like a boy version of Sadie, how fun!! I can't wait to come over and hold him!!

Lorie said...

Congratulations! He is beautiful!

Cecily said...

Oh my goodness he is the cutest baby ever! Congrats! We will be over soon.....with treats :)

Holly said...

He is SO stinkin adorable!!! The one where Luke is winking...he looks like Nate:o) I wish I was your neighbor so I could help you out!!! Good luck on the sleeping thing...he will get it soon. Love ya!

Chelsea said...

I'm in love!! He is soo adorable! I totally agree. I think he is a perfect little combo of the kids. Sometimes a little Ellie, but that winking one is exact Nate! You guys are such a great looking family. Way to go! :)

Sorry about the sleep. Cash is just learning how...and he will be 3 at the end of the month. So GOOD LUCK. I can't wait to meet him!!!!

Molly said...

He's so cute! I love the cloe up of his face, that is priceless! I need to come and see him again!

The Tyler's said...

I am so glad I get to live down the street from him! He is a perfect mix of all your kids...a little more of Sadie though. Your new camera takes exellent photos! I'm wanting a new camera now! Mine sucks. Can't wait to get back and talk to you all about VB! I'm in love with it!

Lindsay said...

He is sooooo adorable! Congratulations! I think the pic with one eye closed is my favorite! LOL!

Rickie said...

He's so adorable. Maddy, we all have the flu. I can't wait to do something nice for you. Please accept my apologies for being late to help you. It is always so crazy in the beginning with a newborn. I was surprised at how much I had forgotten w/ Avery. The first 6 weeks are such a blur (okay first few months). I'll just keep my fingers crossed he figures out his days and nights really fast.

Burwell's Bits said...

Good work mom!!! He is such a perfect blend of all the Rogers and a beautiful baby. May you get sleep soon.

AZ Hey-mon said...

Those are the sweetest pictures! What a beautiful babe. You are doing awesome!

Casey said...

How about the kids come over tomorrow for a playdate? Dustin said they have swim lessons in the morning, so afterwards? maybe from 11:30-2:30 like we've been doing lately anyway? I'll call you. Luke is a hottie! He sure looks like Sadie in the one photo. Can't wait to meet him!

Steve and Sarah said...

He is so precious. I can't wait to see him! I hope you can get a little sleep, it is hard to function with 4 kidson no sleep!

ajoachim said...

Congrats everyone! The kids are so excited to have another cousin. We can't wait to meet him this summer. Hope all is well.

swampbaby said...

Pass me some of that 2-minute labor and one push delivery! :-) What a little doll! Good job, mama!

Rach said...

Oh, he's adorable. I love that picture of him and Ellie.

Melissa said...

He is so darling! Things do get better, hold in there.

Lara Neves said...

Congratulations! He is a cutie pie as we all knew he would be. My favorite picture is the one of him with Nate. So sweet.

Hope you get some sleep tonight! :)

Brenda Janda said...

Those are the cutest pics. I love the one of him and Nate. How precious. Believe me soon enough you will get sleep. Write it all down, I promise it will be over sooner than ya think. (I am wishing I had that day back.)
Thanks for sharing.

Michelle said...

I am so sad that I am in VA. I wish I could take a turn holding luke for a nap or two! I love the pictures pls keep them coming! And btw -- that Ellie has the most gorgeous set of brown eyes around! Love you All!!!!

Grandma

Unknown said...

Awww- he's so sweet!

Lisa said...

he is sooooo cute! and you will sleep again. in about 15 years. lol

Meredith said...

I love all his crooked baby things like his crooked mouth and one eye open and one eye closed and ears...I love their little squishy look and how quickly they straighten out...

Larson's said...

Oh! He is so cute! Call me a loser friend and visiting teacher. I have been wanting to come by and fix dinner but I have this stupid chest cold which is keeping the Larson clan away. Maybe your grateful. But as soon as we get this stupid bug out of our house we are there. Any requests for a dinner and a day since we can't seem to get the phone thing down.
Becky

Lisa Brown said...

That wasn't a boring story at all :). And BTW, he is gorgeous!! Although, I would expect that, since all your kids are gorgeous, but he is such a beautiful baby! Congrats!!

Kaelene said...

Can't wait to take a turn holding that darling boy! Cute photos, and I LOVE your new blog look!

jacque said...

He is absolutely adorable...seriously. He looks so much like Nate and Sadie in some of those pictures. Can't wait to meet him.

Kerry said...

Yay! New photos! I love him. I want to come hold him!

Your labor story cracked me up, "Apparently they don't think it's an emergency if you come in smiling." I'm glad you got the epidural on time this time around. What a relief!

Keep photos coming! (In between you getting some sleep of course! LOL!)

Anonymous said...

Labor and delivery was a breeze!! Awesome!! I had no pain (except the dumb penicilin going in my arm) when having Benn. I really like painless labor and deliveries. I didn't want to embarrass myself again like I did with Alan. Way to go mommy of 4!! I love keeping up on your family!