layout

12/10/2010

Thanksgiving

I figure I'd better get Thanksgiving blogged because Christmas is just around the corner. I seriously have had so much fun getting ready for Christmas this year that I just want to skip straight to it and the best part is yet to come. We have visitors coming this year!!! My sister gets in on Tuesday and my parents come a week form tomorrow. HOORAY!

OK, but seriously back on Thanksgiving. We had a fantastic, low key and yummy Thanksgiving dinner. Our friends, Mike and Rickie, were sweet enough to host us for a family-less holiday. Luckily we all love each other so much that we feel like family. The Bryners are big Utah fans and seeing as the Holy War of football games (BYU vs the U) was the next day, we thought we should get some good natured teasing in.
GO COUGARS!!Too bad we lost the game the next day :(

Rickie did the most amazing job hosting -- crafts, tables to color, beautiful tables, and my favorite was the slide show of pictures of our families over the years. Rickie did not get the memo that we were keeping things simple. It was really nice to spread the food out of 3 people so no one felt over burdened with cooking (although I did feel pressure since we were in charge of the turkey, yet still did none of the cooking) and then we just enjoyed each others company for the rest of the day.My cute girlfriends, Michelle and Rickie, are both super talented and amazing people. I'm in awe of everything they do.

The kids just loved playing with each other and doing all the activities Rickie had put together, like marshmallow turkeys.
Meanwhile, *some* people took naps and others worked really hard on dutch over cobbler. Poor Mike made a blueberry and peach cobbler.


Too bad blueberries and yellow cake make some repulsive looking green dessert. To quote Rickie, "Let's not make this a Thanksgiving tradition." I disagree! I think we should make it every Thanksgiving. It still makes me laugh to think about it, and isn't that the best part of holidays? All the funny memories!

The kids declined dessert (I'm not sure they actually ate anything) except for Sadie of course, who likes anything with fruit, no matter how disgusting it looks.
They still had enough energy to entertain us some more.

And the next day we put up Christmas and now I'm ready to party. BRING IT ON!

3 comments:

Lara Neves said...

We did Thanksgiving with friends this year, too. And last. And probably most of the upcoming! I thought I would hate it, but you're right...it's wonderful. So exciting that you have family coming for Christmas! YAY!

Lisa Brown said...

What a fun Thanksgiving! And I'll bet that even though it looked repulsive, the cobbler was delicious :).

Rickie said...

I love you to death! You had both Mike and I laughing so much. I couldn't have said it all better & summed up our Thanksgiving. It was so much fun having you guys over. Thanks! And I'm so glad we didn't have to do the turkey, because it was really good this year :)