layout

12/01/2011

Many Thanks!

Did you know that Thanksgiving is my number one favorite holiday of all time? Christmas is close, but Thanksgiving wins every time. Friends, family, food and no expectations. . . DONE! I do get a little bitter when it tries to bust in on my birthday glory, but even then, it STILL wins. It's this quiet little holiday that sneaks in right between all the holiday/birthday/costume/stocking/wrapping/shopping craziness.

We are lucky enough to have the tradition of celebrating Thanksgiving with either Dustin's family or at our really fantastic friends, the Bryners, home. This year we were extra lucky because we got BOTH! Chris and Shauna were still in town and Rickie and Mike were enough to have all ten of us over, along with some of our other favorite (and very tall) friends -- the Brooks'. Mike even forgave Dustin after Elbow-gate. Everyone should have friends that feel like family!

I look so forward to Thanksgiving, that I started planning in early October. We bought placemats to color. I printed off Bingo. Rickie thought the kids could paint rocks. And yet, despite all of the fun activities we planned they all disappear. We did manage to get a few to decorate the cookies Michelle made (and pose!).But for the most part they had fun playing upstairs. Or sneaking veggies.Or napping and cuddling with the dads. Or picking out toys they want in the Black Friday ads.The food was delicious and it was a really fun and relaxing day. Everyone should get to experience a fun, stress-free Thanksgiving like this. We laugh, we play, we nap. . . Every year we talk about going out to see a movie after dinner and every year we look at the clock and can't believe it's been seven hours.

I'm grateful that we could have family visiting and I'm grateful that we have friends we consider family to spend the Holidays with. Now on to Christmas.

2 comments:

Lara Neves said...

Looks like a lovely day indeed. I love that it's your favorite. Thanksgiving rocks.

Rickie said...

I didn't know it was your favorite holiday. I am so so glad that you guys came over. Thanks for all the sweet things you said. I think that we are actually the lucky ones that got to have all you guys over to share Thanksgiving with!!