layout

5/31/2012

Ready for Kindergarten

My baby girl graduated from Pre-School this month.  She is so ready for Kindergarten.  I have no idea if every state does this, but in Arizona, they had a KIST test to evaluate Kindergarten readiness.  Basically the kindergarten teacher comes out and tells you what your child needs to work on over the summer -- I doubt anyone can actually "fail" the test.  Especially since one of my old neighbors told me that instead of sending her son home with a list of letters to practice over the summer, they decided it would be faster to write down the letters he actually knew.

Sadie, however, decided to study for the test.  She would have us quiz her randomly on math facts (there are no math facts on the actual test -- just shapes, colors, letters, write your name. . .).  You sign up for the test (which in May) when you register for Kindergarten (in February) so she had a lot of time to prepare.

One crazy day we loaded up the car at 7:40 with all our stuff for the day.  I drove carpool, we ran to Sprouts, dropped off the groceries, went to scripture class, then straight to swim lessons, followed by preschool, and picked up some neighbor kids I was watching and picked up Sadie so we could head straight to Sadie's second set of swim lessons for the day.  So by the time we got home for the day at 2:50 (the exact same time as the big kids got home from school), I was exhausted.  Sadie was exhausted.  So tired that she climbed into bed to take a nap.  I helped the kids unpack their school stuff, got them a snack and decided to check the messages, "This Alicia from the front office at (school name here).  I'm just calling to remind you of Sadie's Kindergarten Assessment test at 3:15. . ."  I freak out.  I look at the clock -- it's 3:12.  I run in and yank Sadie out of bed.  She has crazy pool hair and is half asleep.  We hop in the car, drive to school and guess what. . . I should have listened to the whole message.  The test was the next day.  Alicia and I could not stop laughing.

Anyway, Sadie passed her test with flying colors the NEXT day (when she had advanced noticed she wore a blue and white pinstriped dress and red shoes because "They're my school colors.").  And a few days later she graduated from Miss Becky's preschool (for the second time).  Every year I swear I won't cry and every year I do.  At the end of the DVD, she's puts on a montage of pictures of the kids with their moms to "Let Them be Little," and it makes me cry every.single.time.
Miss Becky is the best!!  Sadie told me on the way home, "I don't think I'll ever miss a teacher as much as Miss Becky.  She is so nice and so loving and she never ever yells."

2 comments:

Danika said...

Love the KIST testing story...that's funny! :)

Anonymous said...

She is so cute! Let them be Little is a cruel joke Preschool teachers like ot play on the mom's I've decided. I cry when I watch the DVD of the kids and all I can think is I'm making them grow up too fast, ahhh!!!! FYI - I don't think the KIST test is an AZ thing. We have gone to Kinder in two different districts and I have never heard of it... Maybe it's a CTA thing??? Anyway - glad she passed!