layout

5/31/2012

Sweet and Sour

First the sweet --


At Nate's first grade portfolio day (please enjoy this great "I lost another tooth" photo) they have the children read you a binder full of their writings from the year.  It has poems, informative reports on penguins and Johnny Appleseed and some cute stories.  The first week of first grade they have the kids write a story about their family.  Nate wrote:

My family.  My dad is 34.  My mom is 31.  My sitter is 9.  My iser sitter is 4.  We wint togeder to the pool at the jim.  We like playing the wii.
Yeah, Luke didn't make it into the story.  At the end of the binder is another story about their family so you can see how their writing has progressed.  Nate's story made my heart melt:

The Rogers Family
My family is the best family.  These are my family's names: Ellie, Sadie, Luke, Nate, Mom and Dad.  My family likes to go swimming together in the pool.  We like to watch BYU games together.  Our family is the best because we spend time together.  Now you know all about the Rogers family.

I didn't even PAY him to say our family was the best.  So it must be true!  Also, I like that we love to swim together.  Maybe because both stories were written when it was a million degrees outside and that is the only entertainment to be found.

Now the sour --

Sadie lost her stuffed monkey.  Well it's probably the fault of many people.  Nate probably encouraged her to bring monkey, Sadie probably forgot all about him once he was outside (just like everything else in her life, like shoes, toys, food. . .), and I'm pretty sure Luke hid him.

Anyway, her stuffed monkey was lost weeks ago.  I remembered seeing him outside one day and thinking, "I need to go get that monkey inside before Sadie realizes he's missing."  But I didn't and life went on.  Until one night I get a frantic phone call, "I can't (sob sob, deep breaths, sob sob) find (hysterical sobbing and breathing) monkey."  I assure her I know where it is and we'll find it as soon as I get home.

Dustin and I head out back with flashlights and sure enough, we can't find that dang monkey.  I end up putting Sadie to bed despite all the sobs.  Ellie comes in to help me comfort her.  We say a prayer.  I promise to buy her a new monkey.  She is slightly calming down.  Ellie says, "I bet he's off at a Jungle Ball."

The wailing begins again.  "He doesn't go anywhere, Ellie.  He's a stuffed animal.  He can't even MOVE."  I just about collapsed into a pile of giggles.

A few days later I hear much celebrating coming from the backyard as Nate had found monkey hidden in a bush.  We were all hugging and cheering when suddenly Luke comes out, grabs the monkey and runs off with it, and then hides it in a bush.


And something kind of funny.  It's a total Ramona moment.  I'm not a big fan of school pictures and I don't order them.  So when school picture day comes around, I don't really care what my kids wear to school or do fancy hair anymore.  Usually they still come home and beg me to order the photos.  This year Nate did not want to show me the pictures.  Finally he comes out of his room and says, "Mom, I had to sneeze."

I love him so much!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

awesome stories. wonderful writing. and i can't believe they couldn't shoot one more pic! boopapa

Kristine Hodson said...

Perfect!
Just Perfect!
I cannot believe the change in Nate's writing!
Besides being so sweet he is so smart!
Thank you for sharing.
Oh, Monkey is so cute.
Love Aunt Beaney

Lisa Brown said...

Thank you so much for updating your blog!! I had such a blast reading all your stories from the past two months, and there are so many things I want to comment on, but now I can't remember them. And to reward you for keeping me up to date :), I will share my big news with you. I'm pregnant! We have been trying for quite a while, and we will have a much bigger gap than I was thinking (7 years), but we are super excited.