layout

6/11/2012

Our Summer Thus Far

The first day of summer vacation at our house always starts out with such high expectations.  This year we:
  • did chores
  • studied in our workbooks
  • read books
  • practiced piano
  • organized the pantry
  • washed/folded/put away loads and loads of laundry

In fact my kids were so ambitious I had to yell at Sadie to STOP doing her summer workbook or else we wouldn't have anything else for her to do during the summer.

You're probably not surprised by this.  I am a relatively orderly and scheduled person.  I thrive on routine.  But for some reason, when that 7 weeks of summer rolls around, I just don't care.

Turns out I should have let Sadie finish that workbook in one day because that's the last time we've used it.  Somehow we've been caught up in a whirlwind of swimming, play dates, games and movies.
(I was just looking at the pictures on this post and I noticed Luke's plate is entirely chips!)
This morning, the 8th day of vacation, a little nagging voice in my head started reminding me about the workbooks.  And the math facts.  And the reading.  And laundry.  Oh, that dang laundry still piles up despite me encouraging my children to live entirely in their swimsuits of pajamas all summer long.


I resolved to restart the program today.  And go to Costco.  And the library.  And Target.

8:30 am the phone rang and my friend Kristin asked me if we wanted to go to the Designer Boulevard sale.  And with that, my plan went out the window.
We ended up shopping. Nate went out to lunch/shopping/swimming at a friend's house (his mom is way more fun than I ever am).  We picked up not enough pizza (4 whole pizzas and they were still starving and some didn't even eat!! Our kids are pigs.) and went swimming with a bunch of friends.
At one point in time there were actually no children in the pool, but we couldn't drag ourselves away from it because everyone was off playing so nicely.
We stole one of Ellie's friends for a sleep over.  Picked up Nate.  Came home around 4 and not even five minutes later, there was a knock on the door from Brody wondering if Nate could come over and play.
Five minutes later, Sadie Tyler ended up over here.  We played games, we ate cookies. . . I did manage to fold some laundry!  Around 6 pm I thought I'd better make some dinner and with that our day was gone.

How do the summer days slip away so fast??  I should probably feel guilty, but I don't even feel like we wasted the day.  I think that's exactly how summer should go.

3 comments:

Anita said...

So jealous!! We still have 5 more days of school...but then we will be having crazy fun just like you guys!! Enjoy it:)

Sarah Jones said...

How FUN! I am very jealous you went to the Designer BLVD sale. I love rock revivals and it is a rare occasion they are on sale. I had plans to go there last Saturday :( I miss swimming. There is 1 indoor boring pool here. So as soon as Trevor gets his stitches out I am busting out the good ol slip n slide! Keep enjoying the lazy days.

Lisa Brown said...

So fun! I am jealous! The fun adventures other places are what have gone by the wayside so far because of my feeling sick with this pregnancy. I just got drugs though, and so I think I may just feel enough like a person to venture out again :). 2 1/2 weeks of summer and we have only been to the pool once - it's a crime!