layout

9/10/2012

Preschool!

The day is here! For 4 hours a week, I have no one to entertain me and give me kisses. . . at the same time no one needs a snack or to be strapped into a car seat. It definitely has its ups and downs.  I'm torn between being sad to leave a stage in my life and being excited for Luke to experience some independence.

We are lucky enough to have the best, most loving preschool teacher in the world in our Ward and Luke was dying to go to school.  Everyday when we would drop off the kids he would ask me where Sadie was.  He was definitely lonely without his little buddy.  I think it's obvious that I no substitute for the entertainment Sadie provides on a daily basis.

The kids picked out a dinosaur backpack for Luke and he loves it.  In fact every school day he wants me to take a picture of him with his backpack.  He also insisted on wearing his dinosaur shirt.  I probably should have made him wear something cuter, but I just wanted him to be happy.  I have literally given in to that whole "spoiled baby of the family" syndrome they talk about in all the psychology books.

He did surprisingly well getting dropped off and I was running late for a meeting, so I didn't wait until they all went inside (ah, see the "baby"stereotype coming to fruition already?  The guilt I feel can only be rectified with buying him loads of ice cream!).  Then I saw this number on my girlfriend's facebook wall.
Sweet Luke looking terrified, surrounded by girls.  He is the ONLY boy in the class, but I think it will be good for him since he's kind of bad at sharing.  He was not really terrified I assure you.  The picture is just too funny to pass up.
 Now that Luke is in preschool the number one question I get is: "What are you going to do with all of your free time?"

Well people, the same thing I did with my time before (mainly volunteering at school).  Only now when I leave Target I don't have to buy a dinosaur toy to make it out alive.  And no one is grabbing things off the low shelves at the grocery store and I don't have to maneuver those awful car shopping carts.

Don't let my faux-enthusiasm fool you.  I miss Luke like crazy.  One day I had nothing to do other than run to the library and get some food at Sprouts.  I literally felt lost.  I just wandered up and down the aisles wishing Luke were with me begging for cheese curls.  And it still only wasted an hour.
I can't wait for field trips and class parties for Luke!! 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great post!
I love Luke!
I miss Luke!
Love Kristine