layout

3/13/2009

Rest and relaxation

It's been a really great break so far -- despite the bickering and power struggles. It always takes a good week for everyone to learn how to deal with each other all day and no normal routines. Case in point: Nate's nose. Ellie got mad at him one morning and threw a domino at him. This was then followed by much lecturing from me and then a note: Thanks for making me feel like the worst sister in the world mom. Love, Ellie. At least I found it in the trash. I think she realized it was mean after she settles down a little. I think it was a great lesson for all about why we don't throw things. As you can see, Nate also has a new camera face: Deer in Headlights.

The weather has been gorgeous and we haven't had a shortage of playdates, trips to the park, bike rides or spring cleaning.

Dustin was out of town for the beginning of the week and I went on a purge-fest. I got all the cabinets, closets, baskets etc. cleaned out and organized. A whole month ahead of schedule! Usually April kicks off my clean-fest, but I've had so much energy lately I decided to nest early.

The other day Sadie was watching D-d-d-dora on TV and I started thinking that they kind of have some similarities.
1. Big brown eyes
2. Usually accompanied by a monkey
3. If you don't do what she says the first time, she just says it louder

Yesterday some friends and I hit up the Gap friends and family sale followed by lunch. I got the girls the cutest Easter dresses. These are actually the 3rd Easter dresses I've bought and returned, but I swear I'm keeping these. Ellie was distraught because she liked the second one the best and I returned it yesterday afternoon, so I had to let the kids try their new clothes on to convince them that they actually liked them. Sneak peek: This was then followed by a photo session of Nate and Sadie with their mouths open. Why they thought this was funny I have no idea.Now we just need to find some time to relax. Enjoy your weekend.

14 comments:

Chelsea said...

Cutest dresses! I am proud of you. I haven't even thought about Easter yet. Any good boy clothes out?

I am still laughing at Dddddora's resemblances. Too funny!!

And seriously, Ellie is amazing at her notes left in or out of the trash. They make me kinda teeny tiny wish I had a girl. And then I am over it that fast!

Danika said...

We have had the same "out of routine" and "power struggle" issues over here all week...

Natalie doesn't have the Dora brown eyes or monkey, but she sure shouts things louder if you ignore her!

Meredith said...

Saw those dresses online and they are so adorable. I planned to purge this week too. Why do I stink at that?

Lisa said...

my teenage daughters think dora is evil. i have no clue why. but i love the fox, oh man.

Lara Neves said...

Wow. Sadie IS Dora! Is her Monkey named Boots?

I just ordered some Easter dresses and I hope I like them, because I'm thinking I like yours better. But I'd have to go 3 hours out of my way to get to a Gap.

Mamacita said...

Ditto on the power struggles! They all want to be in charge. It's a love hate relationship every ten minutes.

Love the Dora girl!

lynette said...

I LOVE those dresses!!! They don't have them online anymore and I'm so mad! And, is that a flowery JCrew headband? I'm addicted to those things! I just bought more for Carly! They have organza ones now!!!

Amy F. said...

Too cute! (Dora...he he).
I was so excited yesterday when Dustin drove by our house and said hi to Shawn, Dax and I because when I said hi to Nate he said hi back and was smiling at me! If you haven't noticed, I'm always tryin' to get that kid to say hi to me, so it made my day ;)
I can't wait to see the girls in their dresses! I love Easter Sunday, especially how pretty everything is!

Lisa Brown said...

I loved your post - it totally made me smile - all except for the beautiful weather you are having. YOu see, we are having gorgeous weather too, but if we go outside, we get eaten alive by sand gnats. I have got to move somewhere where there aren't so many awful bugs. Oh, and the dresses look so cute!

The Tyler's said...

That's it! Sadie "needs" that dress! Yesterday my sil told me she bought the same dress for her daughter also. I just love it too much. Can't wait to see them in them on Easter Sunday.

Rach said...

Nate's poor nose!! And, Ellie's note was funny. Cute Easter dresses.

Anonymous said...

These pictures are adorable. I'm sure they'll look great in their Easter outfits.

Kat said...

I love the dresses! You sound as bad as me with all the buying and returning ;) Ellie writes the funniest notes! (ok, it may not be funny when she says stuff about you making her feel bad)! But I seriously laugh, or smile when you tell us about the notes she writes :) She is a good girl. I miss you guys. Our house was appraised on Monday, and we were told that it should work out so that we can close at the agreed-upon price. yay. Still praying and crossing my fingers though. It's not done until it's done!
I hope you are feeling well! So glad that you've had a lot of energy :) Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

I love Nate's new picture face and I especially love the grin on his face as Sadie is making Nate's new picture face! OMGosh I love that boy. And the girls look so adorable in the Easter dresses! I think Ellie gets sweeter everyday! And Sadie couldn't be cuter! I love them all!