layout

12/03/2009

How I Spent My Thanksgiving Vacation

I feel like I'm still unpacking/doing laundry/recovering from our 8 day vacation to. . . sunny Arizona. Oh wait, we live here. Dustin's brother decided to bless his twins over Thanksgiving if the whole family would get together for it. We were just lucky it ended up being here. With 5 brothers and 23 people, we opted to rent a larger house with a heated swimming pool for the week.

The ENTIRE fam:


Casey and Sarah from Utah Doug (Kathy missing) live in Maricopa
Darian and Jen DROVE from Tennessee with their 3 kids. They may be crazy.
Chris and Shauna and Zoe (missing Isaac) drove from California


What we did:
1. Ran -- Dustin's whole family is really big into running, so every day there were lots of running partners. 6 of them even ran the Turkey Trot that morning where Jen was 6 seconds away from being the fastest woman. Oh how I will never let her live it down for not throwing up to win!

2. Played games.
I think the boys were up until 2:30 most mornings. We also had the Xbox & Wii hooked up, plus the cousins' DSs

3. Swam.
I finally got in the pool the last day and it was 102!! No wonder the kids were in there so much.

4. Went to the park

5. Crafted. Grandma Rogers brought a little scrapbook-y craft to hold Christmas gifts for the girl's teachers. And Luke's new stocking!!

6. Gingerbread houses and trees.
So many gingerbread options. The kids ate the big one, so we only came home with the gigantic tree and mini-houses.

7. Held babies.
Luke is officially spoiled now. He may never just sit again.

8. ATE! A lot. Especially Trader Joe cookies, expensive english muffins and pergois (thanks Doug and Kathy)!

9. Exchanged gifts. It was so cute to see how excited the kids were and how perfect each of the gifts they picked out were. Lego Star Wars for the Wii for Nate, a bracelet making kit and earrings for Ellie (which Jake spent quite a bit of time picking out the best set) and Ponyville for Sadie.

Just that night we had been on a walk and Sadie was especially quiet. I asked her what she was thinking about and she said, "Ponyville for Christmas. I really really want it." So that worked out great!

10. Played pool. Sadie had a special affinity for the blue cue powder, which you'll notice on her lips in several pictures.

11. Ignored the kids, who did a great job of entertaining themselves. Nate had Wyatt(blankies and thumbs for the both of them), Ellie had Alex Anne
and Sadie had the big boys who loved all over her and spoiled her like crazy.

Things we didn't do:
1. Sleep

Luke with the twins -- or the triplets as I like to term them!
In their cute outfits from Casey and Sarah


So there you have it -- way too many pictures. Loved every minute of it.

12 comments:

Janel said...

That looks so fun!! I love seeing Dustins Bros, I can see the family resemblance and it looks like they had a great time with each other. There is something so amazing about having everyone in one place together, I love it!

Steve and Sarah said...

Sonuds like the perfect Thanksgiving! I am glad you got to "get away"

Danika said...

Looks like fun! Nice that you were far enough away from home that it felt like a real vacation.

Danika said...

PS - I'm loving my giant star...it turned out good and it makes me happy every time I walk by it! Thanks again.

The Tyler's said...

So fun to see all of Dustin's family. All the brothers look so different!
I want to go swimming so bad after reading about it! My kids ask all the time to go swimming and I say "um, it's like 20 degrees outside"!!
Happy late birthday! Can't wait to hear all about it.

Lindsay said...

Aw, looks like so much fun!!!

Meredith said...

Oh my goodness - looks like a fantastic fun time!!!!! Love the triplets!

Lisa said...

sounds like so much fun!

Lisa Brown said...

What a blast! And how awesome that all the kids had someone to play with - aren't cousins great?

AZ Hey-mon said...

What a fun time. You were good to take so many pictures.

Mike and Kimmy said...

Looks like you had a great time! I love huge family get togethers. They are usually chaotic, but filled with so many memories!

Casey said...

I could have sworn I already posted a comment. Looks like so much fun! It was certainly a great opportunity for you all to get together like that!