layout

12/27/2009

Merry and Bright

The tree is down, the decorations gone. . . if only there weren't a giant wagon full of Dustin's Christmas presents sitting in my living room. I'm not going to lie -- our Christmas was FANTASTIC!Also I had to squeeze some pictures of Luke in here to prove he was here!

Christmas Eve we had our usual dinner over here. This year we had 4 families, so there were people and tables everywhere, but I think everyone had a good time.
The kids made place cards so everyone would know where to sit.

We had Chinese for dinner and then our Nativity program. Nate was of course a very captivating Joseph. After that, we decorated sugar cookies for Santa (Mary envy)
and Azure so kindly provided a pinata for the kids.
This was the perfect distraction so Santa could leave pajamas at the front door undetected. Before we knew it were there were naked bodies and clothes everywhere (no one call CPS, the older kids changed in the bedrooms).

That's 15 kids, ages 8 to 6 months. Some children were less than thrilled at the idea of taking a picture. Poor little Aden was not having it. At least until everyone else had left and we were taking our own "new jammies" picture.

The house was clean, the kids were asleep and the presents were under the tree by 10:30 when I headed to bed. Nate was up bright and early at 6:20, so I told him he could grab one thing from his stocking to play with in bed while we waited for the girls.

Christmas morning was filled with lots of these faces:






And we had a nice leisurely morning/afternoon. I refused to make breakfast burritos this year since we always go to a lot of work and then the kids won't eat them. So this year we kept offering the kids food choices and they were too busy playing to eat. In fact, they didn't eat lunch either, so they were starving by the time we met up with our friends, the Larsons, for dinner.

Yes, we went out to eat on Christmas Day. The company was fantastic, nothing to prepare, and no clean up. Although Dustin and I were laughing about the crowd of people who go out to eat on Christmas. For the most part, everyone was slightly odd looking. We felt like we were in the scene from the Santa Clause with Tim Allen where he and his son are out for Christmas Eve dinner.

After dinner we all headed back to our house so the kids could share their new toys, the girls could chat and the boys could play Dustin's new PS3 game. I should mention that Dustin and Jeff got their butts kicked by Skylar who was texting half the time.

Around bedtime we decided to capitalize on the fact that our favorite babysitter Lyndsi was already at our house and had no more plans for the day. . . so we put Luke down and headed out to a late Christmas movie.

AS Nate would say, "I told you so." It was fantastic.

15 comments:

Sherrie said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful Christmas Maddy. Luke has the best smile! I love the group shot with all the kids, he looks like he is having a blast. :)

Janel said...

That looks really fun! I can't believe you have Christmas put away! I'm still recovering I guess. You guys really know how to do the fun parties!

ajoachim said...

I can't believe Sadie and Allie had matching PJs and dresses! But it looks like Sadie wore her skirt with her PJs whereas Allie REFUSED to put it on. It's quite obvious we have very good taste!

The Tyler's said...

Sounds like another fabulous Christmas at your house!
I love the pic of Sadie twirling in her new jammies. I just love her.
Do you know how jealous I am right now of your fun babysitter?? We haven't had a babysitter since we have been here! That's 5 months! I think we are going to splurge this week and go out...we'll see.

Anonymous said...

i can't stop looking at your kids. their faces are MAGICAL! they REALLY make the holidays special! i miss them:(

love, lola

p.s. i was going to make this anonymous and ask about your esprit bag just for kicks and giggles...

Megan said...

Looks like a fun day! I love the expressions on the kids faces!

Meredith said...

Decorations are GONE? Are you kidding? I guess when you start two months in advance you get tired of it. And let me tell you...the out to dinner crowd where we went - also kind of odd. We had a hankering for Mexican and drove around looking for any Mexican that was open. We ended up at Denny's. We wondered if we should have found a TIGF like you and maybe there was a better crowd to share our Christmas dining experience with but Denny's was where we were. And the people watching was fantastic!

Dave, Bonnie, and Taten said...

I love all the smiles. We missed you Christmas Eve. I wish we could have come to your party.

Brenda Janda said...

How fun. The kids look so happy and excited. We drug Morgan out of bed finally at 8. I think Kyle was the most excited in waking up early. Nate in the PJ picture with the other kids is priceless. Did you already put the Lego city together? I loved building with the boys.

Lindsay said...

Looks like a lot of fun! You have such a cute family!

Lisa said...

cuteness galore! dallas, me, taylor and carson went to see sherlock holmes christmas night. a first for me!

Rach said...

I need to get our Christmas stuff down. I think next year we are going out to eat for Christmas dinner. I like the "no clean up" part!

Rickie said...

I'm so glad I got to see how your Christmas was. I LOVE that picture of the all the kids in their jammies, all the different ones, oh it was so cute. And the Christmas morning faces are the best. I hope you had fun putting together the Police Headquarters, it took us forever!! But it is awesome, you'll have to check out the mini-toilets in the jail cells. They think of everything.

Kerry said...

Great photos and recap of your Christmas!! I swear I am showing up at your door next year because you guys always look like you are having so much fun!!

Legos. I have a love/hate relationship with those. LOL!! But man, Nate looks happy!!

Everybody looks so grown up!

Lisa Brown said...

I love that you always get together with friends for holidays. I usually invite someone over, even if it is just the missionaries, but Kevin begged me to let it just be us this year. I have to say, we aren't that exciting by ourselves :). Next year I am inviting people again.