layout

12/12/2009

It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas

Or at least feel like it. Brrrr! It's been cold. I guess I should say, it's been cold for Arizona.
wreath from Costco
Welcome to our home and all of our Christmas festivities. I know a lot of people like to make fun of me and how I start getting ready for Christmas in July, but I find the more prepared I am, the more I can enjoy doing stuff with the family and I relax all December.

So yes, the cards are done, the packages are sent, the presents are bought, wrapped, labeled and hidden. . . just fun from here on out. Heck, even our lights are up!

Right before Thanksgiving I got some Christmas crafting done with my girlfriends. We made the wall plaques and the barn stars. JOY blocks from Bonnie
And Grandma Rogers brought Luke's new stocking at Thanksgiving. I love all the kids' cute stockings.
Snowflakes from Tenderheart and the Angel was a gift from Kerry

We have all of our advent traditions. One for everyone. Countdown blocks (made last month) and our matchboxes (made with Tasha and Molly one year).
They're filled with candy and something Christmas-y to do each day. This magnetic cookie sheet was a birthday gift from Susan one year. A friend (I won't name names) knocked it down 3 or 4 times when she was over one day. My kids have yet to knock it down. We also have a pocket Santa by the kids rooms and we read one Christmas book each night, plus my friend Lisa sent me a scripture countdown. I think I'm going to put them in something like this for next year. I really like advent calendars if you can't tell.

The first Monday of December we always put up our Nativity and tell the story of Christ's birth as a family. Gift from my Aunt Kristine with a few "extras" Ellie picked up from Primary last year.
We also have a Little People one, but I cannot find the baby Jesus anywhere. Sadie has decided a stable isn't posh enough and brought out some doll house furniture to accessorize. The 2nd Monday we always deliver our goodies. I hope it's warmer by Monday night!

Buddy, our Elf is also back. Our neighbors Jill and Casey each have their own Elf too
The kids race out every morning to be the first to find him. So far there was only one morning he didn't move (and a few close calls where Mom jumped out of bed and shoved Nate back into his room because "it was too early to be up").

Ellie shows you our Christmas tree. I'll have to do a post sometime about some of my favorite ornaments. And also figure out how to turn the flash off of my camera so I can take some night shots. I'd probably have to read the manual for that and what fun would that be?

Going to the mailbox every day. Probably the only time of year I enjoy getting the mail.We love getting your Christmas cards, so keep 'em coming. The more the merrier.

Breakfast with Santa. Ellie had a sleep over with a friend so we had an extra. I can't believe we almost took up a whole table just for our family.


The kids were very good and didn't ask Santa for anything ridiculous, or anything he wasn't already bringing them (phew)! Also, Nate's looking a little Italian in this picture -- don't you think?

Making cookies. It was a mess. I was a wreck trying to *enjoy* the mess and let go, but the kids had a BLAST! We sent them off in our Christmas packages, so I'm not quite sure what they looked like when everyone got them.

We've got lots of fun stuff coming up too. Can't wait!! So are you ready for Christmas??




21 comments:

Amber Miskin said...

I seriously need to do some of your cute craft ideas...I've been trying to figure out what kind of advent calendar I wanted...I like the matchbox idea...how is it all put together?

Sherrie said...

It looks like you are well prepared! You can come to my house and help me finish up and then you can feel what COLD really is! ;)

Danika said...

Maybe if we put your Little People nativity set and mine together we'll have a complete one! Our Mary is currently stuck under our entertainment center...

Lara Neves said...

I am SO unprepared this year. It's horrible, really. I would like to blame moving, but that was 4 months ago, so I don't think it counts. Just me being disorganized.

But, I finally finished Christmas shopping for my kids today. Next week I can do the little bit I have to do for extended family. And cards and treats. ACK!

I'm totally going to be like you next year. I think I may have said that last year, but I mean it this time! :)

Burwell's Bits said...

Wanna come help me unpack and then finish getting ready for Christmas. We have the lights up outside and the tree up, also with lights. No decorations yet and Caleb likes the camels from the nativities. He has a herd...

Steve and Sarah said...

I love christmas at your house! I have started a few new traditions this year, but nothing like your fun ones. What a great mom you are.

Lisa said...

i do not make fun of you--i just let you know how much i hate you. lol

and just think how much funner (yes, its a word, i'm an english major!) halloween would be if you put this much effort into it!

and to answer your question--no, i am not ready for christmas!

swampbaby said...

You are so festive! Cute, cute stuff. We have an advent calendar that I use that I had when I was a little girl that my aunt made me. There is a message about Christmas in each pocket and then the kids take turns picking a small present ($1 bin at Target anyone?) out of the basket each day. It's a fun tradition, but I'd like to add a few more "countdown" things, so I may have to steal some of your ideas. My version would be the "people who don't do crafts" version of them though!

The Tyler's said...

Love this post. You always have the best holiday decorations!
Of course AZ has a freezing Dec. the year we move! But we have been freezing our buns off here so it's ok. They keep saying that it should snow this winter because it has been soooo rainy this fall/winter. I hope so! My kids are all getting scarfs mittens and hats this Christmas (because I'm practical like that) since we don't own those items!

Michelle said...

The cookies were YUM -- EEEEEEE! I'm going to try and get our end of the exchange baked on Tuesday! love you all! Granma

Kiran said...

I love your Nativity! Your kids are too cute and clearly enjoying all the fun. I need to do some wrapping but am loving every minute of this awesome time of year. Beautiful!!!

Kathleen said...

i need to live closer to you and mooch off your preparedness. i wish we had any level of self control and some of those cookies were still around. your kids are gorgeous, your house needs to be featured on the cover of martha stewart's mag and i miss you like crazy!

Amber said...

Oh my goodness! You do have the best decorations ever! We seriously have a couple of things up in our house so now I am feeling super jealous! We havent even put our Christmas cards up that we have been getting and I have not even mailed ours out yet!!! AHHHHH! Now I am totally feeling the pressure and so behind :D

Cute pics! Love it all :D

Rickie said...

I love how excited you get for Christmas! Was I the one that kept knocking your cookie sheet off? Oops if I did.

Unknown said...

I can't wait to see it all in person with my very own eyes!! I love it all and maybe I can get some ideas for my house ;D Christmas is the best!

Meredith said...

You big jerk, it was ONE time that it was knocked down!

Lisa Brown said...

I love all your fun stuff - especially your advent calendars! And I love the idea of putting the scriptures in something cools next year - those little buckets look perfect. And I am with you - I try to get as much done before December, so that I can actually enjoy December :).

Megan said...

Looks like so much fun! You always have the cutest most fun stuff at your house!
Hope you guys have a wonderful Christmas!!

Rach said...

Oh my gosh!! Can you come decorate my house?? I LOVE your countdown calendars. Man, next year I am going to have to get my "craft" on.

AZ Hey-mon said...

I love all the pictures. very fun. and I didn't even have to click on the link to know who knocked it down 12 times. HAHAHA

Shauna said...

We have an elf as well - his name is Nicky.

I think I need to take Holiday Decorating lessons from you. The house looks great!

BTW, where's my family picture on the wall???