layout

1/10/2010

Random

Well it's been awhile Nothing too exciting going on, but enough to keep us on our toes. You know how it is once the kids are back in school: You're busy, but you're not quite sure what on earth you're busy doing? I remember in High School my mom asked me to put my laundry away and I looked at her and asked, "What on earth do you DO all day?" Oh how funny it seems now.

Just the homework, the dressing, the driving, driving back, driving someone else somewhere else, packing lunches, friends, gym, laundry, laundry, laundry, feeding, feeding again, feeding the baby, reading stories, reading scriptures, building legos, playing ponies, vacuuming, mopping floors, wiping counters, wiping noses, wiping bums. . . there is always someone or something needing attention. Usually more than just one. Some days it's overwhelming but most days I still remember how lucky am I that I get to be their mom.

I never did put up pictures from Ellie's ballet recital.



Too bad she doesn't love dancing because she looks gorgeous doing it! She wants to try something new this winter.

Everyone is recovering form the gunk. Luke, of course, got it the worst and in typical Luke fashion ended up at the Doctor's office for hours trying to get his oxygen up to appropriate levels so he wouldn't have to be admitted to the hospital. He also picked the week Dustin was out of town because he really likes the drama.

Still no appearance from my soon-to-be-born niece, Olivia Madelyn Skinner. It's my sister's birthday and since she's sort of OBSESSED with her birthday, I thought for sure Olivia would make her grand entrance today. Unfortunately, Olivia does not seem to have the same sick humor as I do and she has decided to give her mom at least one last day to be the center of attention. So. . .
HAPPY BIRTHDAY SIS! Just a few things you should know about my sister's childhood:
1. I circled the day she would be born on the calendar. It was also during the worst snowstorm Chicago had seen for 10 years.
2. Because I was 7 years older than her, I would get up and change her diaper in the middle of the night while my mom made a bottle.
3. She wore boxer shorts under her dresses to Church because she was the ultimate tom boy.
4. My mom made her wear her hair in braids every day. At least she didn't insist on chopping it short like a boy like she did for me.
5. She was obsessed with horses and dolphins. A few years later it was the Olsen twins.
6. One time during sacrament meeting she was playing with her Cinderella paper dolls and she quoted the line, "LUCIFER! Come here," quite loud during the actual sacrament.
7. She has quite the talent for making signs.
8. Strange love for fake food and of course a totally understandable love for ABBA.
9. Hates tomatoes and tomato sauce and will not touch paper towels.
10. She is the BEST SISTER EVER!

Everyone should be so lucky to have a sister who is as clever and witty as mine. I know for sure I'll never be bored if she's around. Thanks for always making me laugh and for loving my kids like your own. She is the most fantastic writer and one day I can't wait to buy copies of her book for all of my friends (as long as I get to be a character). I hope you're getting spoiled rotten and sometime in the midst of all your celebrating, you'll find time to return my phone call (only joking . . . sort of). LOVE YOU SCUTTLEBUTT!

12 comments:

Meredith said...

I love Kathleen too!! What a fun tribute to your cute stinker of a sister. I do hope this baby comes soon...and comes fast like yours do. What does Ellie want to try?? Caroline gave up dance a couple years ago and then wanted to try again. How about piano?

Brenda Janda said...

WOW, you are amazing. And what a great sister you are. Happy b-day to your sis. Love the pics of Ellie. She is such a beautiful little angel. Thanks for being my friend.

Rickie said...

Such a sweet post. I can see a resemblance between you two in this picture that I never noticed before.

Molly said...

Happy Birthday Kathleen! I was thinking the other day how ironic it would be if the baby actually came today. Being that she is so obsessed with her b-day! I would buy one of her books any day!

Kathleen said...

i love you, scuttlebutt!! happy birthday to ME!

ellie DOES have the natural lines of a dancer. i love that girl. bring her in 26 days!!

i love the bday hat on the luke machine. can i eat him?

Lisa Brown said...

Aren't sisters the best? I don't know what I would do without mine.

And isn't it the story of our lives that as soon as our husbands leave town, something goes terribly wrong? A car breaks down, the kids get sick, etc, etc? My friend Tara, whose husband just deployed, got sick with the flu and had her heat go out the week after he left. It is like a sick joke being played on us moms :).

Lisa said...

ellie looks too cute! happy birthday to your sis!

The Tyler's said...

Could her legs be any longer?? Very jealous. Tell her to keep it up!

I keep checking your sisters blog to see if the baby is here yet!

Love that Luke boy!!

Amy F. said...

Go Ellie! She is so pretty. Dancer (long legs like her Mom) for sure!
I hope Luke is on the mend (glad to see Dustin is back ;)
Okay, so Kathleen sounds so strangely similar to my little sister Diana. She turns 23 in February (must be the time of year they were born, haha -or the year). My sister loved horses, and animals, and then was also obsessed with Olsen twins, and she was totally a tomboy (she even rebelled and wore pants to church once as a teenager), oh oh, and she won't touch napkins and stuff like that either! That's crazy!!

Happy Birthday, and can't wait to hear about baby Olivia's arrival.

Unknown said...

Dance pictures- yay! She looks adorable! And so grown up...

Is Nate doing winter soccer?

Rach said...

I love your dance pictures! Too bad she doesn't want to keep doing it. Your list of stuff about your sister cracked me up!

laura said...

loving ellie's ballet pics. i have the same thing here with sarah - she looks so adorable in those dance costumes, but she just couldn't possibly care less about dance. c'est la vie!