layout

1/31/2010

Well the first 10 miles weren't bad

As I'm sure you were all too well aware, yesterday I ran my first half marathon. I even managed to talk three of my girlfriends into running it with me. One of them had to drop out due to injuries, but it really worked out to our benefit because she was our hostess for the weekend.

Michelle flew in from California just to run with us and Mike & Brenna were so sweet to have all of us and our families to their house for a pasta party the night before. Even though she couldn't run she still wanted to cheer us on. Then, yesterday morning at 6:45 the remaining 3 of us set off for Schnepf Farms and London's Run.This is after the 13.1 miles. I can assure you that we looked like super models before we started.

We started off just talking and getting passed by everyone until about mile 4 where Rickie whispered, "We're finally passing people!" By mile 6 everyone was done talking and Rickie and Michelle turned on their music, but I actually like just thinking to myself for awhile, so I focused on trying to pass people. The course is on a farm and it had rained the day before, the ground was muddy making the path really thin at some points. Somewhere around mile 7 and 8 and trying to jut in and out in between people I lost Rickie and Michelle and ended up running my own race. I didn't even turn on my ipod until mile 10 because I was feeling really great, but around mile 11 I started feeling it. By mile 12 I was ready to be done. That last mile went on forevvvver. I probably should have pushed myself a little more, but I was OVER IT! I did manage to sprint to the finish and my official times was 1:57.04, so just under 9 minute miles. I was really happy with it being my first half marathon and all.

The sad part was. . . my family missed my finish. They were planning on heading over to the finish line at 2 hours flat. Dustin did manage to get Michelle at the end of her run.
They even had flowers and a poster for me :( Oh well, it's the thought that counts.
London's Run is a fantastic race because it pretty low key and family oriented. While we were running our husbands brought the kids down for a big pancake breakfast and took them around to all the attractions. There are bouncy housesbull rides, animals to pet, slidescrafts (Nate and Daven with their awesome "man bracelets")face painting, raffles, a helicopter and a whole lot of people you knew from way back when. I ran into two friends from college (Brooke and Sandra) and an old neighbor (Amy) who all ran the half and then two of my girl friends (Sarah and Meredith) both ran the 10K.I'm so proud of Meredith who had never run more than a mile in her life until November!

I'm so grateful to have such an amazing support system to go through this with. Dustin never complained when I took off forever on a Saturday morning and helped me on my quest for the comfiest shoes and socks and the music I liked running to the best. He even lugged 4 kids down to cheer me on. Even this guy: And of course the best girlfriends who spent every Saturday with me and hours on the treadmill because of me. There is no way I would have done this without those people by my side. I love you guys!!

Up next. . . ?? Any suggestions? It will feel weird to go to the gym on Monday with no real goal.

20 comments:

Amber Miskin said...

That's awesome Maddy!

Meredith said...

You are amazing - you even beat your goal, right? You are my inspiration.
To be clear, I had run up to 2 miles. But that was a few years ago. Nothing like this! You know what is next...Ragnar!

Steve and Sarah said...

Awesome! I can't imagine doing 13 miles! You DID IT.

jacque said...

Congrats Maddy! I was thinking of you guys yesterday and was hoping it went well. Ragnar 2011 is calling! :)

Danika said...

Congrats! I am amazed by everyone who runs (which is pretty much everyone I know, including Brandon). Good for you! Full marathon next?!?

ASHLEY said...

Madelyn, you ARE a speed demon. CONGRATULATIONS! Next up: you could do a full. You're incredible! Again - congrats! I hope you celebrated properly this weekend...and a nice reward seeing Kathleen, Olivia and Kyle next weekend/week. YAY!! Keep posting about your running...I need some inspiration.

Janel said...

Maddy, that is AWESOME! I am so proud of you!! Woo HOO! I'll be in it next year!!

Janel said...

Maddy, that is AWESOME! I am so proud of you!! Woo HOO! I'll be in it next year!!

ajoachim said...

The days, and even weeks after, are always the hardest because there is nothing to work for. If you can do a half marathon, then you can do a full marathon!! Congrats!

Rach said...

Wow, I'm so impressed with you!!! I can't believe you ran 13 miles!! Wow, that's all I can say!

Lara Neves said...

I am so proud of you!

And I'm so impressed.

I would have died.

The Tyler's said...

Sooo proud of you! Bummer your fam missed the big finale but it's better than me last year when everyone had to wait FOREVER for me to finish!
Need to talk to you about this weekend..I'll call you.

Amy F. said...

That is so good. It was a fun race. It all the elements -sun, wind, dirt, mud, crowds ;) -to make it interesting. And Maddy, you look amazing!!
I'm with ya on the "what's next". It would feel weird to not have something to train for (I'm attempting the Utah Ragnar relay...scary!). Hope to see you around! And soon enough we'll all be able to go swimming!

Lisa Brown said...

You are my hero! I am so not a runner :). Congrats on being awesome!!

Megan said...

That's awesome! You are speedy! Next up; how about Ragnar? My family is running the So. Cal one in April.
Or come out here in May and run a full with me!

Unknown said...

Whatever--you gals look FAN-TAS-TIC after running 13.1 miles! That is awesome ;D Hooray for gorgeous runners!

Sara said...

You are impressive! Good work, Maddy!

Rickie said...

You did so awesome, Maddy. I think runnin' is in your blood as I've told you before. We have to find something to keep working toward now or else my body is going to go crazy. I think I'm addicted, its like a drug now.

Anonymous said...

Technology truly is an inescapable aspect of our daily lives, and I think it is safe to say that we have passed the point of no return in our relationship with technology.


I don't mean this in a bad way, of course! Societal concerns aside... I just hope that as memory becomes less expensive, the possibility of copying our brains onto a digital medium becomes a true reality. It's a fantasy that I dream about almost every day.


(Posted on Nintendo DS running [url=http://will-the-r4-r4i-work.wetpaint.com/]R4[/url] DS NetBrowze)

swampbaby said...

I haven't been reading many blogs as of late (or keeping my own up) but I came to visit and scanned quickly and saw your great accomplishment. Congrats! You totally ROCKED that 1/2! I would love to do one in under 2 hours. So awesome!

I finally signed up for a 10k to get my big butt motivated again. It has been so freaking cold here with like 20 feet of snow for months that I have had a hard time to be motivated to do anything!!