layout

5/12/2010

It's GREAT to be EIGHT!

This weekend was a whirlwind as we celebrated Ellie's baptism and Mother's Day.
And it is truly great to be eight -- at least if you ask Sadie. All weekend she kept whining about how everyone was talking to Ellie and getting Ellie things.
Poor neglected Sadie -- who has no idea what it means to be neglected.

Ellie was baptized this weekend and we were so lucky to have lots of family fly in and spend time with us. Dustin's parents were the first in on Wednesday and we filled the time by running errands, get pedicures, eating lots of food, visiting the grocery store a few too many times and making chocolate dipped strawberries.



Dustin's mom brought goodies for the kids with her -- including these really cute pioneer hats (which Luke was not a fan of) and Ellie's baptism dress. Cheryl made the entire thing by herself. It turned out exactly how Ellie pictured and she LOVED it!
She was also baptized in my dress, which my sister was baptized in too. What a lucky girl.

Friday we cooked, cleaned, shopped, made it to a Primary Activity and my parents and sister flew in from Virginia. Saturday morning we made our last trip to the airport to pick up Casey and Sarah before we headed to the Stake Center.
Dustin's oldest brother lives in Maricopa so we were so glad they could spend the weekend with us as well. Sadie was over the moon because she adores her cousins, Jake and Cody. She kept telling me to take pictures of them. They are the SWEETEST boys and give in to her constant begging to play barbies or puzzles with her.

Without fail the thing I always remember the most about baptisms is how loud and crazy they are, but for one brief moment everything calms down and you can feel the Spirit so strongly. I'm not a big crier, but I definitely got teary eyed when I saw Dustin and Ellie in the water.


I then rushed Ellie back for the fastest clothing change in Baptismal history (she was shaking from the cold and informed me that she had never been so wet in her whole life) and a little mommy-daughter moment.
I am so proud of you Ellie!!

After the baptism we had about 60 people over for pulled pork sandwiches, chips, grapes, homemade lemonade and cake. I was so worried there wasn't going to be enough food, but I think we had exactly enough. I'm so grateful to all of our friends who made time on their busy Saturdays to come and support Ellie (and me). We are so lucky to have so many friends who are like family when we live so far away from our own.


Luke enjoyed blocking traffic and eating whenever he could find someone to put something in his mouth.

We spent the rest of the afternoon hanging out with everyone and then my dad took Ellie and Nate swimming with the Ashtons while everyone else enjoyed some down time before we headed to the Stake Fair and then shipped the kids off for a sleep over with my parents and a long honored tradition of going on a midnight run.

Probably two decades ago we were at my Grandparent's for the summer and sometime around midnight we decided we all needed some snack food from McDonald's. It was repeated the next summer, and the next. . . and basically anytime we get the entire family together. If course now that we have young kids, we've moved the time up considerably, and I no longer order everything on the menu. . . but it's just a reminder of all the fun times we had with our Grandparents and how their memories are always with us.
69.JPG" alt="" id="BLOGGER_PHOTO_ID_5470459081176587570" border="0" />
Sunday was Mother's Day and despite the fact that I meant to spoil our moms, it was really nice to not have to get the older kids ready for church and there were so many family members to entertain them at Church that I actually listened to all of Sacrament Meeting.



Dustin made a yummy brunch (his famous baked french toast and buttermilk syrup) for everyone and then my parents and sister had to take off. I think they were only here for 45 hours total.

We finished off the day with a turkey dinner with Dustin's parents, two brothers and wives and families and then drove Casey and Sarah to the airport after their 36 hour trip to AZ. It really meant a lot to all of us to have so many people fit Ellie's baptism into the schedule, even if it meant they spent their weekends on airplanes. My kids are so lucky to have the best Aunts and Uncles!!

Monday we made one last trip to the airport to get Dustin's parents on their way home and then I wanted to pass out but spent the rest of the day doing laundry and cleaning. It still feels kind of lonely with just the 6 of us.

8 comments:

Danika said...

What a fun weekend! I can't believe these kids are old enough to be getting baptized...

PS - love your dress - you look great!

Lara Neves said...

I think Bria's baptism was one of the most amazing days of my motherhood journey so far. It's just beyond words how cool it is to see your own offspring make a choice like that. Congratulations to Ellie, she is so beautiful in her white dress and looks so happy!

And, may I say YOU look fabulous! Seriously wonderful. That dress is great, too!

Brenda Janda said...

You are the best blogger.
Ellie is a beautiful young lady. I remember that day as being one of the best for all of my kids and me. Just the spirit is amazing.
I love the picture of Ellie watching Nate lick the chocolate strawberry and of the kids in the bed. Priceless.
And you did look nice in that dress Sunday.
What an awesomely fun weekend.
Congrats and sorry we couldn't make it.
Thanks for sharing.

Meredith said...

It was a beautiful day and I am so thrilled we could be a part of it. Ellie is like the 4th daughter I never had! :)

The Tyler's said...

I love Ellie's dress!! It is so girly and dainty and perfect. I'm glad the day went so great for her (and you). Wish we could have been there to support her...tell her we love her!

Lisa Brown said...

I am so glad everything went so well. She looks so beautiful in her dress (and you look great too - I love your dress!). Lily will turn 8 next year and it is blowing my mind.

Rickie said...

Ellie looked so beautiful. She really is getting so grown up. Thanks for letting us be a part of it. It was great!

Unknown said...

Wilson got baptized on the same day!! How fun ;D It really was a special day for us too. Yea for Ellie!