layout

4/12/2011

Field Trippin'

Last Friday was Nate's field trip. We got to go see Sleeping Beauty at the Broadway Palm Dinner Theater. Despite the fact that it as a "girl play" and Nate was very upset in the weeks leading up to the event, he ended up having a fantastic time.

Now, I could spend this blog post telling you about how much fun it was but how generic would that be? Of course riding on a school bus for the first time is thrilling. And of course a buffet line of pizza, chicken nuggets, macaroni and cheese, hamburgers, hot dogs, salad and a dessert buffet would send a little boy over the moon. So instead of a paragraph or two or details, I'll give you a really humiliating moment of my own.

There were so many volunteers that we each only had 2 kids -- mine were Nate and his friend Connor (so much nicer than the year Ellie was in Kindergarten and I had 7 kids in my group). When we got to the Theater for our matinee the first thing all the kids had to do was use the bathroom. Since I only had two boys to worry about, we made a bee line for the Men's restroom where I walked the boys in and herded them towards the stalls. They then informed me that they just needed to pee and started walking to the urinals. I then thought, "Wow, how come I usually don't have Nate use the urinal?" Then it went to, "They don't normally have urinals in public bathrooms." And then the sudden awareness struck. . .Yes, they do have urinals in public restrooms. IN THE MEN'S ROOM. I AM IN THE BOYS BATHROOM!

I literally just walked right in there like I owned the place. What on earth was I thinking??? The most humilating part was walking back out to all the other BAZILLION mothers (and fathers) who were waiting for the boys in their group to finish using the bathroom. Outside of the men's room. Like normal people.
"Apart from that Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?" The kids were enthralled, the musical was cute and there was definitely some great kid humor. I think the only part that threw me was that Prince Philip was really disappointing. As in the kids weren't the only people who were weirded out when he kissed Sleeping Beauty.

6 comments:

Danika said...

I'm laughing out loud right now. Seriously so funny! Sounds like something I would do...

Molly said...

That is awesome!!! Andy did that once in the ladies room at Costa Vida - but he didn't realize it until a woman came in to use the restoom!

Lisa Brown said...

How sad about Prince Phillip! And I am still laughing about the bathroom story. Thanks :).

Kristine Hodson said...

Soooooo! the other parents waited "outside" the BATHROOM?
You are so cute Maddy. I love you Aunt Beaney

Kraneia said...

I remember doing a version of "snow white" in middle school.

The "prince" wasn't comfortable with kissing "snow white". So he shook her and when she opened her eyes, he handed her a giant Hershey's Kiss.

L A M E .

Scratch

Ms. Morgan said...

This is so fantastic! I have to say it's a definite "Mom-Move"...going in with to make sure everything's okay. How funny. I understand embarrassing but at least there weren't strange men standing at the urinals.