layout

5/28/2014

School's OUT!!!

I don't think my children could even be as excited as I was that school was ending. The homework, the after school activities, the reports, the oral presentations, end of the year gifts and party supplies, the lunches, the dragging the kids out of bed each morning, the hair curling, the last minute "I forgot" scramble. . . I just couldn't wait for my children to be MINE!!!

So I sent them off to school one last time and got to work!
Actually, I dragged Luke around on errands. We had to return art prints to the school district media center, pick up summer books for the kids at the library, purchase balloons and streamers and then we drove up to get them their favorite cupcakes for a surprise.
 

But then. . . I got to work.

I had printed off a bunch of summer coupons good for things like a late night, date night, trip to the dollar store, sleep over with mom, free chores etc. Luke helped me stuff all 60 of them into balloons for the kids to pop when they got home. I wish he could have helped me blow up the balloons too because I was incredibly light headed by the time I was gone.

After that I decorated the door for the kids to bust through.

And then I waited. And waited. I tried to take a cat nap, but I was too excited for them to get home so I just waited some more.
Finally about half an hour after school got out, Ellie called to tell me that my neighbor was taking all the kids to get Krispie Kreme for the report cards (they give a donut per A). I could hear the excitement, so I wished them along their way, even though I was sitting there with balloons, and streamers and cupcakes just counting the minutes down.
When they did appear, they sort of straggled in, but I made them wait until they were all together to bust through the door.  It was slightly anti-climatic.

 
And the fact that I had made an impenetrable wall out of crepe paper only made it worse. Oh yeah, and my kids are as scared of popping balloons as I am.
For a few seconds I was thinking, "I can't believe I wasted all my time on this." But everyone settled in and had a great time. They actually were begging me to go get more balloons and giving me ideas for coupons. I think it will be a new "thing."

No comments: