layout

7/30/2009

Slipping Through My Fingers


Picture courtesy of my sister who was trying to convince me that Dustin and I should join her ABBA tribute band.

You know what I like to do to my kids before bed? Make them cry.

So tonight Dustin was off at some fantasy football meeting and I was trying to multi-task: clean up dinner, pack Ellie's lunch, shower 3 kids, hold baby, get out PJs and clothes for the morning, clean up any clothes/toys leftover from the day. . . Somewhere in there Nate and Sadie managed to close the plug in the bath while they were showering. This resulted in the tub overflowing and flooding the bathroom. I was really really mad (and that's an understatement) since our kids know they are not allowed to close the drain.

Instead of getting to watch the Tinkerbell movie I had DVRed the kids were forced to hang out with me while I listened to the Mamma Mia soundtrack (so actually it's more of a reward than a punishment). We were having so much fun singing and dancing until Slipping Through My Fingers came on. That stinking song makes me cry every.single.time. In case you don't know the lyrics I'll help you out: Maybe these only make you cry if you have a school-aged daughter. If you didn't just cry, call me and I'll guilt you into crying.

Anyway --
I'm crying and then the kids ask why so I explain it's a song about your kids growing up and the next thing I know, Ellie and Nate are sobbing. Nate in particular was the saddest. Read these all in a very dramatic sob: "I want to stay here forever forever forever." "I don't want to grow up." "I'm going to miss Luke. He's going to be sad." "Luke will cry if he has to sleep all by himself and I'm gone." "When I get bigger I have to go somewhere else." I'm trying to reassure him that he can live here forever if he wants to and he explains, "Noooo, when you get bigger you have to get a house and there's no houses here for us." I said, "Who told you that??" Through the gasps for breath I hear, "Nobody. I. . . just. . . figured . . . it out."

Oh my goodness. So many tears. That song is now banned from our house or at least until my tender-hearted son is in bed. I think he's still sitting in his bed crying.

Anyone else love ABBA or cause their 4 year old have a mid-life crisis lately?

15 comments:

Casey said...

Uhh...no and no. I like ABBA, I don't particularly love them. And I have not led my 4 year old into a mid life crisis...quite the opposite actually. That child would not try ONE bite of yummy rice tonight no matter what the consequence, stubborn as a mule. BTW I like the album cover. Call me.

Steve and Sarah said...

I love ABBA! I love hearing your stories. How funny he "figured out" there are no houses here!" Yes I did tear up. My baby just turned three and anything having to do with growing up is not allowed to happen!!!

Molly said...

That is hillarious. The picture is awesome by the way. Yes, that song makes me cry every time... Nate is so funny. Hayden has said similar things when we talk about him going on a mission he says he can only go to Arizona so he can still live at home because he will miss me sooo much!

Mamacita said...

Your kids are so cute! My son is traumatized by ABBA songs too, but it's not because it makes him sad :)

Bummer about the tub. I'm sure you were much more understanding than I would be. I thought you were going to tell us they cried themselves to sleep after the bath tub incident.

Sweet story. FYI...never never never listen to that song while driving your child to college!!!

Lara Neves said...

Oh my gosh! Just reading poor Nate's little thoughts is making ME cry now! Chloe has actually had a similar outburst when she found out that she might have to go get married and live away from me someday. I assured her she was welcome to stay with me, and she promised me she will NEVER LEAVE ME.

And yes, that song and the other one (not ABBA, but I can't remember who sings it) called "Turn Around" I can't listen to because I am reduced to a sorry mess of tears and emotion after the first chorus.

Kathleen said...

Nate is the most adorable child in the entire universe. I remember this happening to Ellie at some point when you explained to her what college is.

THIS. IS. NOT. FUN.

And there are plenty of houses on your street for Naters, just take him on a walk and pick one out.

Janel said...

I am a giant ABBA fan!! That song does make me cry. Remind me never to put it in a video montage of Sadie. :D My kids are all dying to move out so they can stay up all night, eat ice cream for dinner, and have any pet they want. Well, the first 2 we already do, but the pet thing is enough to make them want to get outta here.

Meredith said...

This is funny and sad and all sorts of emotions mixed together. Caroline and I had a good cry Sunday night. But usually me making them cry before bed isn't all sentimental - it is because i am being the meanest mom in the world.

Brenda Janda said...

Very sweet story.
And that song major makes me cry.
Nate is a doll and I hate to tell you Mitch used to tell me he would be my best friend forever and never leave home either.
It will happen. Sorry.

Lisa Brown said...

Oh my goodness - so sad!! You totally got me to cry, as I am super sad about my kids growing up as it is. Have you heard the song, Keeping Sheep? Here is a link to the sheet music: http://www.lds.org/cm/music/submission/keeping_sheep.pdf
And you can buy the song on Amazon - totally worth it: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0020VRF50?ie=UTF8&child=B0020VTJWM

It gets me every time too!

Lisa said...

sorry--didn't make me cry. however i cannot listen to SOS without getting a tear. lol

Rach said...

That IS a sad song. But the picture of you guys as ABBA was funny enough to make up for it!

AZ Hey-mon said...

Still craking me up! You are the best.

The Tyler's said...

I'm not a huge Abba fan and don't know the song but I am a huge fan of that picture of the four of you. I couldn't decide if I wanted to throw up or die laughing. Of course your son would react like that...he is all you!
Thank you for that sweet post of the Sadie's. The pic of Brody and Nate is just about the cutest thing ever. They are some handsom studs. We miss you guys like crazy. At church today and almost broke down crying a number of times because it was just not our ward. The people were amazingly nice and so welcoming and tons of fun young couples but it just made me think of all the people we love so much back home. Ok..I'll stop..I may start crying. We really do like it here..I promise.

Rickie said...

First of all, that picture is HILLARIOUS. I can totally picture everything Nate was saying & the expression on his face.....so funny. At least you know how much he loves your house and your family and that you don't have to worry about him leaving you just yet. Daven talks about how he can't wait to be a daddy. i have to MAKE him promise he'll come visit me all the time. How come he can't just want to stay here like Nate?