layout

5/03/2011

BIG news

Nate stopped sucking his thumb!!

You know what you should never do -- promise Nate something. He will never.ever.forget.

About a year ago I was trying to get Nate to stop sucking his thumb so I promised him that when he did we would go to the Lego store and buy him ANY set he wanted. Well, he didn't stop and I stopped promising things. . . And then a month ago Nate announced that he had stopped sucking his thumb and he was ready for me to take him to the Lego store.

At first I didn't believe him. I told him that first I would need to check on him every night for two weeks to see if he had really stopped. That boy kept a countdown! "11 more nights mom until we go to the Lego store." And wouldn't you know, every time I went to check on him there he was sound asleep without a thumb in his mouth. I started popping in right after I sent him to bed to see if he was cheating. I would feel his thumb to make sure it wasn't wet. Sure enough, he had stopped sucking it.

HOORAY for Nate. And so luckily for me, I had bought a LEGO set at the Target after Christmas 75% off sale for a smoking deal and I talked him into accepting that as his reward. I think his face shows his feeling of triumph perfectly! I should add that he put the whole thing together by himself too. ANNNNNND. . . He lost two teeth the same weekend. Sniff sniff. He's getting so big!

7 comments:

Vanessa said...

Maddy,
I am soooo jealous. Nate and Ava are the same age...and I still cannot get her to stop sucking her thumb. I, too, have bribed her with things. A wii, a new bike, anything! But she won't do it. I think I'm going to buy that crazy nailpolish that's supposed to taste super gross and see if that works. But this post is an inspiration! Someday...

Casey said...

Great job Nate!!!! He is really maturing so fast. Brady loves him to death!

Lisa Brown said...

How exciting!! Aren't Legos the best?

Kathleen said...

i seriously thought you were about to announce you were pregnant and i was going to KILL myself if another sibling announced pregnancy by blog. JUST KIDDING!

I LOVE that Nathan James. He is the Cutest boy in the entire, entire world. I am SO proud of that boy and his equally handsome toothless grin!

The Tyler's said...

Ok, I posted a long comment then it did this crazy timed out thing and now I can't remember what I put!

Congrats to Nate!

You all look darling in your EAster get up!

Rickie said...

Maddy, that is great news! Way to go, Nate, he did that all by himself with just a little motivation.

jacque said...

It took me going to my first sleepover and realizing how un-cool it was to suck my thumb....glad Nate was able to do it on his own. Man, your kids are growing up too fast, which means mine our as well. Ellie's party looks super fun. I saw that cake online the other day and showed it to Alexa and she wanted to try it...must be the age! I doubt mine will look as fabulous as yours though.