layout

5/09/2011

Mother's Day

I love being a mom!! Don't think there aren't days where I want to run into my bathroom, lock the doors and let them fend for themselves, but for the most part I really love my life. I love my kids and I enjoy making our home a fun place to be. I love making treats, reading books, playing games, coming up with projects, fixing dinner, snuggling, talking about important things, teaching them the Gospel and even cleaning and organizing. I don't think there is anything else in the world that could fulfill me like trying to make this house a safe haven. I consider it a commandment to find JOY and I hope I help my kids feel it everyday.

I look forward to the cute programs, sweet hand picked cards and hand made crafts that come with Mother's Day every year. The bad news is -- my kids are only getting bigger. Nate can read and no longer picks out the Buzz Lightyear Birthday card to give me for Mother's Day. And Ellie's gifts are actually stylish. Case in point:She MADE that! And I love it.

And lucky me got to go to TWO programs this year. Miss Becky's preschool program is always adorable. This is my fourth year and yet, Sadie was surprised that I knew some of the songs she was going to sing.She sang her little heart out. And then gave me this really cute plaque.
Nate made the same thing last year and I had it up on a plate stand. One night I came home to find Nate's on the floor and Sadie's replaced on the plate stand.

Nate's Kindergarten had Muffins with Mom.I was actually a little irritated about the whole thing. When Ellie was in Kindergarten it was in the afternoon in the classroom and a big production. This year it was at 7:30 in the morning (have you ever tried to find someone to watch your kids at 7:30 AM??? Thank you facebook!) in the cafeteria and with another class which made it really impersonal. Plus there was NO FOOD. Nate was so excited about the whole thing, so he didn't eat breakfast because we were going to eat breakfast at school. The whole way he told me we could only take *one* muffin. Well peeps, they were MINI muffins. I think even Luke, the food hater, would need more than a mini muffin and two strawberries for breakfast.

I forced my mini muffin on Nate and filled him up on strawberries. I hope they had a hearty snack! By the time all the moms and kids made it through the line, they had 5 minutes to sing.

The upside was Nate's enthusiasm. I love that boy! He is so fun to be around when he's excited about something. His whole face glows and you can't help but have fun.

Mother's Day morning all my kids came into bed with me and cuddled. I have been *waiting* for the day when my kids were old enough to just sit in bed and not demand to watch TV or roll all over me. It was PERFECT! Unfortunately, the whole sitting still thing didn't last through Sacrament and while Luke meandered up and down the row, Sadie fell asleep on me. I should have suspected that by the end of the night, we would have this:
Dustin made me a lovely dinner of stir fry shrimp and chocolate souffle, but poor Sadie was so sick she couldn't even eat hers. I decided that as a mother I should sacrifice and eats her dinner and dessert for her. See how great it is to be a mom???

1 comment:

Rach said...

I LOVE that bracelet Ellie made for you. I was going to ask where I could get one, but I see that it is one a kind. She should open up a store on Etsy!! Glad you had a good Mother's day.