layout

6/06/2011

Schools out for SUMMER!

Is there any more glorious day of the year than the last day of the school year? No more homework, no waking kids up, no projects. . . I love it with a passion that cannot be described unless you are also a mother of school aged kids and then you know what I mean. Luckily, mother all over the internet understand the need to celebrate this holiday and helped me throw some stuff together the weekend before, which we all know is "last minute" in Maddy-land.

I had to drag the kids out of bed, but they perked up a little when they remembered it was FREE DRESS DAY! Possibly the second most glorious day of the year to all children in uniform schools. Excuse my pride for a moment while I gush over how handsome/gorgeous my children are!! I used to teach 4th grade, how could I ever *have* a 4th grader?? Those moms were so OLD! And Nate is going into 1st grade? He can READ!

I put together a bunch of Minute-to-Win-It party games for Nate's class which they all played adorably well. Nothing could be cuter than kids shaking cotton balls off their noses, cheering while they stack a giant cup tower or screaming over the idea of trying to keep balloons in the air with chopsticks. Luckily I share their enthusiasm for the small things in life, so I was just as entertained. I have loved working with Nate's class this year. There is something so sweet and loving about those Kindergarteners. They try SO hard to be good and do the right thing.

After the party I hopped over to Ellie's class party which was board games and ice cream sundaes. They handed out some awards and Ellie won "Most Likely to Be a Famous Athlete" and "Most Caring." Awww, make a mom proud (and possibly confused at the athlete one). It was such a fun party and the girls were so cute. . . until they handed out the report cards. The report cards that had their teachers for next year listed. Suddenly there was lots of crying. Ellie and her best friends are all in 4 different classes next year. Curse you report cards for ruining my third favorite day of the year (#1 Christmas, #2 the day after Thanksgiving). After that the kids came home and cried (I can't even remember why Nate was crying), but I tried to cheer them up with some Cafe Rio for dinner.

And now our summer plans look like this:

6 comments:

Michelle said...

Cheers for summer! Can't wait to get my week with my favorite Arizina kids -- and their cutiepie parents!

Lisa Brown said...

I LOVE summer too!! The freedom is wonderful :). And what will i do when Lily gets to 4th grade - I will feel so old. Just like you, I had her when I was teaching, and to think that she will be that old is freaking me out.

Kathleen said...

i wish you'd put the first day of school picture on here so i could see nate's terrified face in comparison. you are NOT OLD, and you're not old enough to have a fourth grader waaaaaaahhh! i remember her cute dimpled thighs, and now she's the best athlete?????

they are so gorgeous and talented and hilarious and brilliant, and you are too! we love you ALL!

The Tyler's said...

Love that m&m game...we played it at a family reunion.

Give the kids a big hug from me..I'm so proud of them all! We still have a couple more weeks and it is taking forEVER!

Could Sadie be any cuter in that cap?? Ronan will start with Becky in Jan. (hopefully...I need to call her) and I'm already nervous about it! He is going to freak!

Mamacita said...

We love minute to win it games too.

There were lots of tears shed here the last day of school too. :(

Arlene said...

I just had a sad heart seeing them huddled and crying. And how did I not know you were a teacher?!

I would kill to have you for a parent of a student in my class!