layout

6/16/2011

Soaring

I am a wimp. I'm pretty sure this is a well known fact, but I am surprisingly unadventerous. I am perfectly content to watch my husband jump off the waterfall or send my sister parasailing right after the rope snapped while I stay warm and dry taking pictures. I am also scared of a ridiculous amount of things -- rubber bands, popping balloons, being cold, being the only one not doing it and letting go.

Once when Dustin and I were newly married we went with a bunch of friends to Seven Peaks Waterpark in Provo (whoop whoop). They had one of those Tarzan ropes that you could swing out to the middle of a pool and then when you let go, you would drop into the middle of the pool. Everyone was doing it, so I climbed up, grabbed on, swung out and then realized that while I may not be afraid of heights, I am afraid of dropping from high places. And so I didn't let go. Do you know what happens when you don't let go of the rope? Eventually you swing BACK into the faux rock wall you jumped off, slam your head and cut up the back side of your body. Most embarrassing moment of my life.

OK, so back to the story. My girlfriend, Karen, has been obsessed with this trapeze place that is about a mile from my house. Earlier in the year, there was a groupon for half off Trapeze lessons. I called her and told her that she and her husband should go do it for her birthday. Fast forward half and hour and somehow she has talked 2 other of our really good friends into doing it and won't I be buying a groupon too?? Well we all know I buckle under peer pressure so I signed up.I may look happy in this picture but I was crying before I had to go up the first time and literally shaking each time I was done with my turn. The place was amazing and they really did a fantastic job -- I am just a scaredy cat. We had to climb up, jump off, grab the the bar, hook our legs, hang upside down, let go and reach back, then grab back on, pull our legs down, swing 3 times and then do a back flip and land. All in about a minute. Believe it or not, they got even me to do it and not hate it.

The hardest part for me was letting go while flying through the air.But I did. I wouldn't say I conquered a fear, but I definitely confronted it. Of course now I'm trying to figure out what horrible thing I should make all of them do for my birthday.

3 comments:

Kathleen said...

well, you might be terrified, but you sure look cute!!

Mamacita said...

WOW! You did it! Good for you.

Lisa Brown said...

That looks so fun and terrifying at the same time!