layout

6/02/2011

Graduates!

It's not just the wrinkles and grey hairs reminding me that I'm getting older anymore. Now it's my kids too. This year I had TWO graduations to attend. OK, they were only for Preschool and Kindergarten, but they definitely reminded me that my kids aren't getting any younger and one more blink and they'll all be gone. But enough sappy sobby stuff. . .

Sadie graduated from Miss Becky's preschool into. . . Miss Becky's preschool. Hooray!! But now she's in the older class. Where they get to eat lunch at school. She can't wait! OK, maybe it's me that can't wait.

Sadie sang some cute songs, got her certificate and then we watched a video of picture throughout the year. I always get teary eyed watching those montages (and it's my secret wish to have my life flash before my eyes with sappy music one day) but when "Let Them Be Little Came On," I started crying. I had been dancing with Sadie up until this point and I told her that now she had to snuggle me because I was getting sad. Sadie said, "Yeah, because I'm growing up and then I'll go get married and you'll miss me." Cue sobbing mess of a mommy now.

Nate's Kindergarten graduation was that same night. When Ellie was in Kindergarten, we went on a fun family stay-cation and skipped graduation all together, so this was my first experience. Nate informed me that he could wear whatever he wanted and I didn't remember seeing a dress code on any of the flyers that came home so I let him go change into his Superman shirt. However, being the rule follower that I am, I called my girlfriend (maybe after this story I should amend that to frenemy) to check. "Yes, they can wear whatever they want," she informed me (omission is still a sin, dear "friend"!!*). And it only made sense to me, the graduation was on the basketball court! And no chairs, you had to bring blankets to sit on. I even encouraged Nate to put on some flip flops and we headed out.
* We are actually still friends, I say this all in jest. I love her and all her guts.

When we arrived, I look around and all the boys are in collared shirts. And most are in ties! And slacks! And people are carrying bouquets!! And balloons!! This was obviously a bigger deal than "blankets on the basketball courts" would lead one to believe. Luckily for me, I have lots of REAL friends, not just frenemies, and I found one that was running a little behind who was sweet enough to grab me an extra shirt for Nate. She even helped him change in the middle of the cafeteria. He said no to the tie, but I totally think he pulled off "faux graduation semi-formal" very handsomely.
I can't believe he's on to first grade already!!

7 comments:

Steve and Sarah said...

Miss Becky does an amazing job. Missed her this year. Trevor"s graduation was LAME! And they don't do kinder graduation. BOOO. Cute kids, even in a spiderman shirt on graduation (btw...your logic made sense to me!)

ASHLEY said...

oh my gosh, i can't believe your friend said that! i can't tell if you were being sarcastic when you said frenemy, but she sounds mean! yuck!! thank goodness your son is so handsome he doesn't need a tie to look fantastic!

Michelle said...

I love Nate's fashion statement only Nate can set a trend with such style and cute-etude.
I'm so sad that Sadie is thinking about getting married ;-(

Lisa Brown said...

That is crazy about the dress code. Lily didn't have a kindergartten graduation, but maybe it was because we lived in Georgia then :).

Kathleen said...

oh my gosh, nate is SOOOOO handsome. can i keep him. i can't believe he's in first grade AND sadie will be eating lunch at school!!! WOWIE WOW WOW! do sadie's legs just go on for miles or what?

Maddy said...

Ashley -- never fear. I think it was miscommunication. The kids go to a uniform school so there is usually a dress code (like white shirts nd navy pants). So when I called to see if they could wear whatever they wanted, she thought I meant non-uniform dress clothes. In reality I was asking if they could literally wear whatever they wanted.

Kristine Hodson said...

I love NATE.
Aunt BEaney