layout

1/26/2012

It's not a book club

Right now my house smells delicious. I'm baking vanilla bars for my "literary society" tonight, also affectionately known as MELS (Meeting of the Elite Literary Society). I've belonged to a few book clubs over the years. In the end it ends up as more of a social hour. People don't read the book or only get half way through. Then they show up and they don't want to discuss or you can't because no one wants any "spoilers." So I decided no to book clubs and YES to a literary society.
I love MELS. It's a really great mix of people -- girls in their 20s, 30s, 40s. Working moms, stay at home moms, animal moms, single moms. Moms with babies, teenagers and even a Grandma. We rotate houses and whoever hosts gets to pick the book for the month. Every month is a different turnout, but no matter how often you come, everyone is glad to see you. If you're reading this and thinking -- I LOVE to read (or even, "I want to pretend I like to read") just let me know. Anyone is welcome!

There are two things you know for sure about MELS:

1) We WILL discuss the book. It will be long and in depth and if you hated the book you'll probably leave the meeting want to reread it because suddenly you loved it.

And 2) There will be LOTS of food. Since the majority of us don't drink we splurge on the food instead. Sometimes we bring food to go with the theme (like chocolate pie for The Help, Indian food for Life of Pi and chocolate bars for The Glass Castle) and sometimes it's like an overload of everything you've ever pinned on Pinterest. And yet, if you show up empty handed because it's been a crazy week everyone understands.
Tonight's meeting wraps up the 2nd year full of great books (there have been a few stinkers mixed in) and even better conversations. I thought I'd add a list of books we've read:
  • The Help by Kathryn Stockett
  • The Other Boleyn Girl by Phillipa Gregory
  • These is My Words by Nancy Turner
  • Winter Garden by Kristen Hannah
  • Life of Pi by Yann Martel
  • A Long Way Gone by Ishmeal Beah
  • The Heretic's Daughter by Kathleen Kent
  • The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer
  • The Autobiography of Santa Claus by Jeff Guinn
  • Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese
  • The Possibilities of Sainthood by Donna Freitas
  • Enchantment by Orson Scott Card
  • The Bronze Bow by Elizabeth George Speare
  • Learned Optimism by Martin Seligman
  • The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton
  • The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls
  • The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom
  • All The Lovely Bad Ones by Mary Downing Hahn
  • What Men Live By by Leo Tolstoy
  • Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project
  • Escape by Carolyn Jessop
Any suggestions for year 3??

8 comments:

Danika said...

Sounds like fun, but I hate other people deciding what I should read! :)
I have only read 3 on your list (The Help - which I LOVED, These is My Words - which I LOVED, and Life of Pi - which I HATED). Oh, and did you know there are 2 sequels to "These is My Words"? Most people don't know that - they aren't well advertised.
I have no suggestions for you - most of the stuff I read is pretty mindless - which is what I enjoy! :)

Lara Neves said...

So making it a literary society put an end to all the people who come and won't let you discuss the book because they didn't finish? Or start? That's my big beef with book club. I want to discuss the book, thank you!

Great list. Haven't read them all, but most of them. You should read Bel Canto by Ann Patchett, Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand, and Peace like a River by Leif Enger.

PS, Do you decide on the books a year in advance (we do), and if so, HOW do you decide?

Maddy said...

Thanks for the ideas Lara. I've read Unbroken and loved it but didn't know if it would be too long. We did manage The Other Boleyn Girl, but that was juicy and scandalous.

We don't decide a year ahead. We sort of just have people volunteer to host and whoever hosts gets to pick. Right now we don't even have our March book picked. We should probably get on it.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE MELS!! I was so sad I couldn't go last night. We have a great group and I love the discussions we alwasy have. I am dying to read the February book - I better get on it now!

Meghan, Carson and the Kiddos said...

Sounds like so much fun! I would love to start something like that here. My ward technically has a book club, but we never talk about the book so I stopped going. I would start my own but it would step on the toes of the people who started the other one. Maybe I'll so it anyway!

BTW, is Meredith totally grabbing your boob in the second picture?

Lisa Brown said...

I never ever miss a book club - one of my favorite things ever, and yours sounds fantastic! I have read most of the books on your list, and you know I am always up for a good read :). If you go on my goodreads and look through my 5 star books, I am sure you will come up with tons more ideas of fun, sad, deep, and light things to read, since I have to read every genre known to man so that I can continually mix it up :).

Lisa Brown said...

YOu could even click on my sidebar on goodreads and go to the bookclub section, to see what I have had for bookclub books over the years :).

Anonymous said...

Vamp excepting a removable strap Asics Tiger outer need of shoes after your purpose cunning packaging next jordans morphed into a pair of prevalent with the sound Gucci sneakers 45, Hogan Shoes 2011 "French flyers" pater and the NBA summer league players is such a couple of interface. In a shoe border 23 people will soon be mentioned, Cheap Rosetta Stonebut it is proved.Louis Vuitton