layout

1/10/2012

Just the Facts, Ma'am

Happy Birthday to my amazing sister! I wish I could write something as witty and clever as her birthday tribute to me, but that is impossible, so I will not even attempt such a feat. Instead I will bore you with lists and facts.

FACT (Do you watch kid history? How many of you read that as "FaaaaaaaaaacccT?") #1: Kathleen is actually 7 years younger than me, and yet she still got her driver's license BEFORE me. This also means I was a self-absorbed teen ager for most of our years at home together. I am grateful that she has forgiven me for this and only remembers the good times, like our bouncy ball collection. I do not remember this, so Fact #2: She has an amazing memory.
Fact #3: She was born in the middle of the worst snowstorm Chicago had seen in over a decade. I had the date circled on my calendar because I just knew she would be born that day. I was so excited to have a sister and to share a room with her and I would wake up in the middle of the night and change her diaper. I just knew having a sister was going to be special.

Fact #3: I *adore* my sister, but my kids may love her more. Here's some "facts" according to my kids:

Ellie
  • "I love everything about Aunt Lola. She's tells us funny stories, like when Nate was shouting 'Teetee,' in the middle of the night."
  • How old is she turning: 24
  • What makes her a good Aunt: She plays game with us
  • What is her favorite thing to do: Read
  • What is her favorite book: Harry Potter
  • What does she say the most: "Want to hear a joke?"
  • Memory: When I went to see her in her apartment at ASU and I was in ballerina costume. It was fun to have her living so close.
Nate:
  • "She is funny. She tells jokes that aren't real. Like, 'There's cheesey worms in the apple.'"
  • How old is she turning: 26
  • What is her favorite TV show: Football
  • Favorite food: Spaghetti and meatballs
  • Favorite thing to do with me: Tell jokes and tickle me
  • Memory: When she painted a rock of my underwear with my butt crack showing.
Sadie
  • "I like when she comes to visit us and we get to play with her."
  • How old is she turning: 25
  • What's her favorite color: pink and purple
  • What's her favorite tv show: basketball
  • What's her favorite food: I don't know that one, but I know the one Olivia likes to eat: oranges
  • Memory: When we were in Idaho and we built a doll house
Luke
"OLIVIA! OLIVIA! LYBIAAAAAAAA."

Random facts you may not know about my sister:
  • She hates tomatoes and touching paper towels.
  • She's is lactose intolerant.
  • She wore boxers under her dresses from the age of 5 to 11 and my mother braided her hair in two braids every.single.day because she has the world's most sensitive head.
  • She was also obsessed with horses and dolphins.
  • She get supremely carsick.
  • She was on the swim team and the rugby team in Thailand.
  • She was on the newspaper staff in Virginia where she perfected the skill of making signs. My sister is literally the world's best sign maker.
  • She has given birth to the world's cutest little curly-haired girl. I am already giddy at the prospect that she might be mine one day if Kathleen and Kyle kick the bucket.
  • She did study abroad in Italy.
  • She almost accepted a handicapped parking sign from William and Mary when she was pregnant with Olivia. Apparently at W&M pregnant women were a novelty.
  • She loves ABBA so much she begged Dustin and I to join her in an ABBA cover band
  • My sister kicks your sister's TRASH!!
Some sappy facts:
  • She makes me laugh every single day. I was going to write some of our inside jokes, but most of them sound horrific unless you know the story. And if I explained, then you would be in our club and you don't GET to be in our club. I'm keeping her all to myself.
  • She is my best friend. My mom and Aunt Kristine say this same thing but then they swear that they never fought. Kathleen and I have agreed that we will always be realistic and admit that we fought/fight with all the passion and intensity our crazy genetics have blessed/cursed us with.
  • She willingly gets sucked into all my "good ideas." I used to repay her with baked goods, but now that she's mastered my chocolate chip cookie recipe, I will have to come up with something to offer her. This is am impossible task because:
  • She is the most amazingly talented woman I know! She writes, she designs, she has an incredibly artistic eye. Everything she creates is perfect. Just look at Olivia.
  • She makes everything more fun and brings life to the room. You will never be bored with Kathleen around.
  • She loves with her whole heart and gives you her whole soul.
I am so lucky to have you as a sister! Happy Birthday Scuttlebutt!!

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

I am SOBBING! You are the best sister in the universe. I'm the lucky one. Or maybe we are both lucky! Seriously, I love you so much! Thanks for treating my birthday like the national holiday it should be. Please write your children letters to get out of school tomorrow. You're the best!