layout

10/31/2012

This is Halloween

The entire time Kathleen was here, she kept BEGGING me to take the kids out of school to play with her.  One night we were hanging out with my girlfriend, Sara, at the park and she came up with the brilliant idea to take the kids out of school early on Halloween and have a Caramel Apple dipping party.  Random Maddy fact: I cave to peer pressure.  This also explains my recent stupidity in signing up for a marathon.

We planned to surprise the kids but the night before Sara found out her boss wouldn't give her the time off.  BOO!  Random Maddy fact #2: Once I have a plan, I *have* to stick with it.  So I decided to indeed take my kids out of school early on Halloween.  I told the all that they had appointments and they got into the car thinking they were headed to get shots. 

When I finally broke the news to them, they could hardly believe it.  15 minutes later when we were eating our lunch, Nate still had to ask me, "Tell me the truth Mom.  Are we really just staying home and having a fun Halloween day?"  Random fact #3: I never take my kids out of school!  I am a firm believer in following rules.  Ellie is 5th grade and this is the first time I've ever done something like this.  Thanks Scuttlebutt for making me an uber-cool mom.


I had made a Halloween picnic lunch, but we ended up eating it at the house because Nate really wanted leftover chili for lunch.
 We still had cheese "eye"balls, mummy juice boxes, ghost string cheese (only eaten by Olivia since my kids hate cheese),   and pumpkin fruit cups.  Pinterest is my lover.

Sadly, I wasn't cool enough to attempt caramel apple dipping by myself so we ended up putting on some witch gear and heading to Dairy Queen for dessert.  Spiderman approved.


After lunch, we headed back to carve pumpkins.  Yes, on Halloween.  The birthdays kept us too busy to do much for Halloween before then.  Sadie was super hilarious during the carving:


 We ended up with a witch, a spider and an E surrounded by stars.

I don't know if I can keep this up every year, my kids are now officially going to expect it.  I have to admit it was fun hagning out with them when they should have been in school.  As Sadie put it, "MOM!  You neeeeeeever do stuff like this."

No comments: