layout

10/03/2012

Twins!

At the end of each quarter, our school holds a "free dress day."  Only, it's not free -- it costs $1 and the proceeds benefit a charity or the school.  The "free part" is the free choice to where whatever clothes you want to wear (ie whatever clothes you still fit into from the summer because no one who sends their kids to uniform buys new fun clothes from July to October).  But if you're my kids, it really is free because your mom forgot to send you with money and no one was going to send you home to change back into a uniform.*

* I promise to give liberally for the December free dress day, which proceeds, in the spirit of full disclosure, will go to supply art supplies for the art program I run at the school.

After a million tangents here, let's go back over the facts: kids can pick whatever they want to wear to school 4 times a year.  Only SURPRISE!  This quarter, the student council thinks it will be fun to have a twin day.  Which is not exactly so much fun. Isn't every day at a uniform school twin day???  And girls are super fun too.  Ellie was told she couldn't dress with a group because she didn't have blonde hair.  Hello Aryans (I'm totally kidding.  TOTALLY KIDDING).  This is actually fine by me. Ellie is freaking gorgeous, so none of you could be her twin anyway.  Ellie actually had other friends who wanted her to dress like them, but this was just a small sample of the drama which other friends of mine encountered. 

My main problem was Sadie, who is in Kindergarten.  Now no Kindergartener cares about Student Council "spirit days" unless they are the super-mature, younger sister of 2 older kids who do care.  And so Sadie was begging me to find someone to be her twin. 

Ellie, who is a secret evil genius, saw the opportunity and grabbed at it.  Instead of going with the "let's all wear blue shirts" group, Ellie sweetly offered to dress like Sadie's twin.  And so Ellie ended up with a brand new outfit.

I won't go over the HOUR long hissy fit Sadie threw while we were trying to pick out clothes, because the main focus of this blog post is how sweet Ellie is.  My darling 5th grader wasn't too embarrassed to dress like her Kindergarten sister because she knew it would make Sadie feel special.  I love that girl.

And I lied -- I will give you one glimpse of the shopping trip.  See that crazy eyed blonde above?  To quote her, "I'm not in charge of the clothes, I'm in charge of picking out the accessories!"  This was as I informed her I was NOT buying hot pink sequined boots and matching belts.

Oh and Nate and his friend wore Ninjago shirts and khaki shorts.  Boy are so easy.

2 comments:

Danika said...

I totally laughed when I heard they were doing twin day. Isn't the point for them to be dressed fun & unique at least 4 times a year since they match each other every other day with uniforms?!?

Kristine Hodson said...

Oh MY!
I think the TWIN pictures are the best EVER! of Ellie and Sadie together!!
Ellie and Sadie are gorgeous!! GORGEOUS!!
Love Aunt Beaney