layout

5/28/2013

Memorial Day

Memorial Day weekend this year was actually gorgeous. Mid-90s and overcast is a luxury this time of year in Arizona.
I had been really excited to go out to dinner with the Kallers since I don't think I had seen either of them in over a month (unless dropping by while Sara was feeling like death counts).  Poor Sara has been so sick with this pregnant, in and out of the ER and finally on a Zofran drip.  Finally she was feeling better and we had big fancy plans and the poor thing got the stomach flu.  We were all bummed.  Since I had already showered for the day and I never waste a good shower day, Dustin and I decided to still go out after we dropped by some rainbow sherbet (for Travis, not Sara) and gatorade.

We hit up a Jean-Georges restaurant at the Phoenecian and bonus -- it was restaurant week!  Afterwards we tried to see Iron Man 3 for our second time and FAILED.  Blah!  We had tried the week before with some friends and it was sold out.  This time we got tickets but there was only room on the front two rows.  We passed.

Monday we headed over to a Bottle Rocket BBQ picnic at the park.  It's an annual event but it was our first year and it did not disappoint.  We didn't have time to make a rocket once we realized it would work with our schedule, but they had stuff there to make your own.  We christened ours the Peanut Butter Cup (since there was only orange and brown duct tape). 
 
I do not know what happened, but the first three times the kids tried to launch ours was an epic fail.  The rocket went nowhere.  I have to admire my kids' persistence because they kept trying until it flew.  We're already planning next year's Revenge of the Peanut Butter Cup.
After that we headed over for a pool party and BBQ at the Ashton's.  The one thing I insist my next house have is a pool.  I love to host, but I don't have a pool and everything in the summer revolves around staying cool.  I always love it when someone invites us swimming.
 
It was a great time with my very oldest friends complete with a watermelon eating contest. 
 

Luke and Sadie pulled it out for the Rogers' family during the littlest competition.  Winner!!



 My big kids did not fair as well. 
Nate quit after about 5 bites (which actually surprised me since he never shows such restraint at dinner) and then Ellie was spitting hers out under the table so we disqualified her.
 
Maybe one day they'll be having a Memorial Day BBQ of their own with their kids.  I hope they invite me because I probably still won't have a pool.

No comments: