layout

10/30/2013

Nate's Birthday

9 years ago on Dustin's birthday, I was so miserable and pregnant. We had moved into our house a week before I was frantically trying to get everything unpacked before my due date in 3 weeks. So instead of a fun and festive first birthday in our house, we ordered Chinese food and ate on the floor in the living room with me wearing my pajamas. This was just foreshadowing what was to come. About every other year poor Dustin's birthday is overshadow by Nate's birthday and Halloween. It seems only fair that Nate take a turn this year.
The day started off well. Dustin picked up donuts for breakfast and I cleverly made it into the number 9. His birthday present was his trip to Utah in September, so other than the present from my parents, he didn't even have anything to open.

Nate asked for exactly two things for his birthday: a sword or a leather jacket. My kids know that the surest way to get something awesome is to ask for just two things -- one thing they're sure to never get and one big ticket item that will seem tame in comparison. For instance, Luke has requested either an iPod or a baby for Christmas. My parents fell for the bait.

About a month before his birthday, Nate actually texted my parents. "Can you get me a leather jacket for my birthday." Only Nate's account comes from Dustin's e-mail address so my parents thought Dustin was making this request. It still sends me into fits of laughter thinking how bewildered my parents were that Dustin, who never asks for anything even after immense amounts of begging and pleading, was suddenly requesting something without even being asked.

So on a beautiful sunny 80 degree day, Nate went off to school in his coveted leather jacket. Everyone at school said his jacket was so smooth. Apparently 3rd graders can appreciate a nice faux leather jacket when they see one.
For lunch he requested Pei Wei and Dustin and I met him for lunch. We even got to see the other children, although only one of them would eat with us.
Dustin had cancelled his church meetings that night and we were all going to go out to eat to celebrate Dustin and Nate's birthday. But after school it all started going down hill. He had piano lessons and suddenly he started not feeling well. And then Sadie started saying she needed a nap. By dinner time Sadie was passed out in bed and Nate didn't want to go out at all.  So the boys got Fat Burger and we ate at home. At 7 pm, Nate decided he DIDN'T want to use his homework pass and so he even did his homework on his birthday while he started to break out in fever.

Luckily it was a quick turn around. He only missed two days of school and by Friday we were all ready for a pizzokie at Oregano's.

No comments: