layout

5/10/2007

High Alert or How I Got a Sunburn

My girlfriend Susan is due on Sunday so I'm officially on "high alert." Since she graciously hauled herself out of bed at 4 am to come stay with my kids when Sadie was born, I get to return the favor. Every night I put my clothes and bathroom stuff at the end of my bed, make sure the phone is next to me and anticipate "the call." Anytime I leave the house, I make sure my cell phone is on and charged. The wait is killing me. I remember being there with Sadie.

Susan's last little boy was born in triage. She labored at home a little too long and then there was the 45 minute drive to the hospital (she must really love her doctor to chose a hospital in Phoenix over the 4 closer hospitals). In order to avoid a replay of her last labor and delivery, her doctor scheduled an inducement for today. Except at the last minute, Susan decided she didn't want to be induced, and was definitely miserable after making the decision. So being the great supportive friend that I am, I decided to get her mind off of the baby (or the fact that baby was not here yet). We went swimming.

It's stinking hot this week, so the pool felt awesome. I made lunches ad brought snacks and we sat around the pool for a few hours. Sadie made her swim suit debut, Nate splashed around and I even had Tasha drop Ellie off after Pre School. So all my kids had so much fun, all lathered up in their sun screen. Except guess who forgot to put sun screen on herself? Yeah, ME! I'm all itchy and red. I seriously haven't had a sun burn this bad since I was a kid. And it's only May.

So please remember -- it's officially summer. Lather up!

10 comments:

Laurel and Trev said...

Ouch!! I'm feeling along with you. I went on a field trip yesterday on a veeery unusually hot day (for up here anyway) and put only a number 4 on my ghostly white winter skin. Not so smart. But at least you had a super fun day!! Take care of that burn.

laura said...

ugh - sorry you got burned. we have definitely had the sunscreen out in full force this week!

Lisa Brown said...

I am so sorry! I have done the same thing before. I think it is something moms do at times - we get so busy taking care of the kids, we forget ourselves. (I have done that with breakfast before too - fed them both, got busy doing something, and couldn't figure out WHY I was starving. Crazy!)

Ammon said...

Ever since a skin cancer scare I don't even look at a pool without sunscreen. Being a lifeguard for 5 years and never wearing a drop of protection wasn't very nice to my skin! :(
Good luck...sleeping is by far the worst when you're burned!

Lisa said...

yeah--sunburns are not fun!

Unknown said...

Ouch!

I hope it's at least turned tan by now before peeling. You have to get something good out of all that pain, right? ;)

Janel said...

well you seem like you have the kind of skin that just gets a pretty toasty glow after a burn, unlike us who get to peel and blotch. I always forget how much I hate getting burned until I do.

Nielsen Family said...

Hey Maddy,
How are you? I did not know you had a blog... cool to see your kids...
Your daughter is so big now..whow time flies.
Take care
Christina

Janel said...

OK OK so your sunburn must be gone by now... time for am update!!! :D

Anonymous said...

Most kind older daughter --UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!