layout

9/09/2007

Nestle Tollhouse

One day when Dustin and I were dating, I wanted to make him some sugar cookies. I just used the sugar cookie recipe from my BH&G cookbook and the frosting recipe they listed. The frosting turned out gross and runny, so I called my Grandma to get her frosting recipe since I knew Dustin liked it. I just wrote the recipe down on a page in the cook book.

Fast forward to 9 years later. I made a cake for dessert tonight, but we didn't have any canned forsting and we were running low on powered sugar. Dustin was looking through some cook books we have to try and find a recipe that doesn't use a lot of powdered sugar. I told him just to half my Grandma's recipe since it's my favorite. Plus, every time I use it, I think of my Grandma who passed away almost 3 years ago.

Later on he's making he frosting, but he's on the wrong page, so I ask him why he's not using my Grandma's recipe.

Dustin: I am using your Grandma's recipe
Me: No you're not, I wrote her recipe on the next page
Dustin: Yeah, it's the same as the Buttercream recipe they have in the book.

WHAAAAATTTT? All these years I thought I had some super special recipe from my Grandma and it turns out to be the recipe from Better Homes and Garden! Not only that, it was in the same cook book as I wrote hers in. I am such a DORK! So we're having a good laugh out of it over here. And no I won't share it . . . it's a SUPER secret family recipe, shared only by me, my Grandma and anyone else who owns a Better Homes and Garden cook book published anytime in the last century or so.

It reminds me of one of my favorite Friends episodes, where Phoebe can't remember her Grandma's Chocolate Chip cookie recipe given to her by some French woman. . . Nestle Tollhouse.

13 comments:

Ammon said...

That's so funny! As I was reading your post it was totally reminding me of Friends... I'm glad you've seen that one too!

Casey said...

So funny!!!!

Lisa said...

that is funny. what's even funnier is that DUSTIN is the one making the frosting! i'm pretty sure he is the one who made the cake too! wink, wink

Lisa said...

that is funny. what's even funnier is that DUSTIN is the one making the frosting! i'm pretty sure he is the one who made the cake too! wink, wink

Chelsea said...

I am cracking up! I need a good frosting recipe. I am checking after this to see if your grams passsed it on to me! :) I wonder if it will taste as good to you now that you know it really wasn't grams! Too funny!

Unknown said...

That's hysterical!!

Maddy said...

Lisa -- are you calling me out! I actually did make the cake. . . but it was out of a box. :(

Michelle said...

hahahahaha that's a riot! :)

swampbaby said...

LOL! Well, for all you know, Better Homes and Gardens stole that secret recipe from your grandma!! ;-)

Janel said...

If it makes you feel better, I have never made a cake that WASN"T out of a box. And I consider myself quite domestic.

Anonymous said...

I remember that episode of Friends -- and I love Phoebe! And people who are so "top secret" about recipes TOTALLY make me laugh, too!
Kaelene

Unknown said...

That is a classic Maddy--Dustin moment. I love it! I prefer the buttercream frosting too.

Lisa Brown said...

Thanks for the great laugh! That toally sounds like something I would do :).

PS. I love that episode too.