layout

1/24/2008

When Daddy's away. . .

When Daddy's away, everything falls apart. Isn't that how the saying goes? While Dustin was braving the cold of Denver, we were hunkered down for the long haul.

Monday night the kids both came down with a fever. Ellie slept through the night at least, but Nate was up every half hour moaning. So Tuesday kind of just started off bad. Then I went to get on the internet to look up a number for school and my internet wasn't working. My "tech support" was out of town and wouldn't answer his phone and I also realize that our hallway toilet is broken. It was a great way to start the day.

We have an awesome neighbor who is a plumber, so I called him and he offered to come over and fix it the next morning if I just ran out to Home Depot to buy the new parts. So I start getting the kids dressed to go out and Sadie barfed all over me. I think it was at that moment I had a mental breakdown and realized that taking my 3 sick kids out to Home Depot was probably the world's worst idea.

Luckily for me my other sweet neighbor dropped her daughter off at my house after school to sit here while the kids napped and I ran to Home Depot. I don't know what I would do without my neighbors -- they can never move!

Wednesday started off much better. No one really got any sleep, but by 8 am we had a functioning toilet and my internet was suddenly working again, plus the kids had Doctor's appointments. I knew everything was going to get better.

We spent an hour trapped in a 1o x 1o room at the Doctor's office. Nate and Ellie were fighting over the spinning stool and Sadie was screaming because I wouldn't let her pull things out from the cabinets or climb on the counters. . . Seriously, you would think a Pediatrician's office would be child proof! The nurses actually came to check in on me at one point because it was so loud. Then the Doctor thought the best idea to entertain Sadie would be to give her a lollipop. Oh thank you wise Doctor. Now she's screaming and sticky.

Anyway, it turns out they have Strep. Yippee! Isn't it sad when you're excited for your kids to have Strep? But at least it means we have ANTIBIOTICS! So by tonight they will no longer be contagious and I can leave the house.

I think the kids are excited to feel better too. . .and get a break from each other!

Ellie has been watching more TV than usual since she has been home sick, so she's been coming up with a lot of random stuff like:
*"Mom, I am so sad. I saw the PERFECT thing on TV but you have to be 18 years or older to call and order."
* We were listening to a Mylie Cyrus song on the radio in the car, "The concert is even better than the radio because you can hear her better and she gives you high fives if you sit in the front row."
* "I want to see this movie with The Rock in it. Is that a kid movie?"

OK, better scoot and finish the pile of catch up work Ellie has!

17 comments:

Lara Neves said...

Oh man! I hope that things are on the upswing now! I would have had a mental breakdown, too!

Chelsea said...

And I complained about Heath Ledger, the rain, and not getting to go to Dallas to prevent getting sick. Sorry! :) You are the best. Keep up the great mommy work. At least you have internet and working toliets, and almost better kids!!!

Ammon said...

Thank goodness for Antibiotics! I sure hope you don't get it... that would be the worst!

Kaelene said...

Okay, who do I need to talk to about getting you the Nobel peace prize for patience with your children??
It really does seem like all this stuff waits until Dustin is out of town . . .I feel overwhelmed for you just hearing about it!

Molly said...

Aah, that sucks! Sounds a little bit like my week, hmm, I wonder who gave our kids strep??? The funniest part is, Hayden and Brynely were fighting over the spinning stool in the docotrs office too, I got so sick of it I put it up on the patient bed thing so neither of them could play with it. I'm just glad the third one is still in my belly so I only had two to deal with! Sorry about the toilet, glad it's working now! And they goodness for Antibiotics!!!

Meredith said...

They looked like they were starting to bounce back - the drugs work! Lindsay loves her red sweater when I finally showed it to her - she wanted to wear it immediately just like Ellie Did - she was excited she and Ellie have the same one!!

Holly said...

I can soooo relate to your doctor visit! Hate that! Damon had to take all 3 kids last week, and I met him in the middle of the appointment. When I got there, he looked at me with a HUGE sigh of relief! I told him, "now do you see why I don't ever again want to take all 3 to the doctor???" He finally got it!
I wondered the same thing about the room being child-proof! You'd think!
Hope everything is going better for you now! Thank goodness for wonderful neighbors!!!

Casey said...

Wow what a day! I hope Dustin gets back soon and everything gets back to normal!

Sara said...

Oh Maddy! I hope the next few days are a lot more calm. When does Dustin get home? Hopefully soon!

Anonymous said...

Hope things are going better. You've had a rough week! *HUGS*

Anonymous said...

my favorite word in the whole post is "scoot"

Anonymous said...

my favorite word in the whole post is "scoot"

Amy F. said...

Maddy, you are such a good Mom! You remind me of what it felt like to be taken care of by my Mom when I was little. I'm so glad I have you in my life to help me be a good Mom - yeah, a little over 3 weeks left until baby!!

Anonymous said...

wow! i hope your kids get better fast! i was always glad when my kids got diagnosed and got meds. like, it's such a waste to go to the doc's office, wait, and then get sent home empty handed!! i figure i at least should get some valium for my showing up!

Lisa Brown said...

Oh my goodness! Those nightmare experiences are the things you look back and wonder how you really did it. Mothers must have a special kind of adrenaline to deal with days like that.

I hope everything is better and your husband gets home soon. (I am gearing up for Kevin to be gone 2 weeks in February and 3 weeks in April - it is never fun.)

Anonymous said...

so you need to bloggy blog again

laura said...

i hope everyone is feeling better by now and that dustin is back home! :)