layout

1/31/2008

January


January is always my worst blogging month because I have to pick up all the stuff I neglected over the holidays. We're always super busy and this week is finally the first time I got around to deep cleaning.

The kids are healthy and back to school. Dustin is home. Multiple rooms are clean at the same time. The laundry is not only done, but folded and put away. . . It's like all the stars have finally aligned. Only after a minor meltdown to Janel, but my little universe has righted itself again. I hate feeling out of whack and like I can't catch up.

The pictures of Sadie really have nothing to do with the blog entry, just putting up pictures so the grandparents won't come whining. Plus I have to remind myself that she is really sweet ad cute at times. She has really been giving me a run for my money. She's got a bunch of teeth coming in so she's very needy. She's got these new things we like to call "Spazz Hands." She lifts her arms up and her fingers start twitching until I pick her up. This has made getting anything done really hard. Finally the other day I was deep cleaning the bathroom and I was so excited to be getting so much done because she was actually leaving me alone. 15 minutes later I realized why. She had taken a box of tissue and wandered around the house pulling them out and leaving a trail. Then she went back through and ripped them all apart. The floors were COVERED in tissue shreds.

My favorite part of January has got to be the clearance shopping. We were in DC until the 6th of January, so I was pretty bummed that I missed most of the after-Christmas decor sales. That was until I had to run into Pier 1 one day. They don't mark there stuff down until the middle of January!!! I hit the first day of the 75% off sale and I got some really cute stuff -- including this tree for $15, normally $6o.

Fast forward a couple of weeks and Kerry and I are out shopping for Beth's birthday gift when we decide to run into Pier 1 and see if they have anything left. It was about 15 minutes before close and they were marking all the stuff down for the 9o% off sale the next day. I loaded up!

Wrapping paper for 48-68 cents -- I now have 31 rolls, so I'm not baking next year, it's back to the wrapping paper gifts for me -- ornament packs for $1, the cute little beaded cherries for $1.18 -- now in my ornament domes since I think they look sort of Valentine-y -- and the best find were the sparkle trees. I got three of those for $3.48 each. We cleaned out that store. The next morning Molly and I went to two more and got all the good stuff. I'm so excited for Christmas and it's still 11 month away. How is that even fair?

So there you go -- I blogged.

10 comments:

Meredith said...

I was kinda wondering when you would have more to say...since Dustin was back to pick up the pieces! Why did you guys not invite me to the Pier 1 clearance shopping adventure? make me some lemon poppyseed bread though - it was good!

Ammon said...

Glad to hear your life is resuming back to normal. GREAT deals on the Christmas decor and I LOVE those little cheeries!

Sara said...

Holy Smokes Maddy! Those are some good deals.

I'm glad that things are back on track.

Chelsea said...

Nice shopping deals!! Sweet!! I NEVER get those good deals. But then again I never leave the house to look for them! I love Sadie's spazz hands. Cracks me up. And she is such a cutie on her zebra! By far the best kid toy ever!!

Lorie said...

Cute trees!!

Kaelene said...

I definitely have tree envy! But am right there with ya, for counting down the days til Christmas!

Unknown said...

Next year, I'm hitting Pier 1- you really scored! Love that first tree!

The Tyler's said...

I'm so jelous of all your fun deals! I totally missed it all this year. Bummer! Sadielicious is adorable trying to put on her crocs! I just love that girl.

Amy F. said...

You are a great shopper! I would love to just follow you around to all the stores and get cute decorations. My lack of furniture and shelves is part of my problem -I have no place to even put little holiday decorations...poor me, right? JK. I'll get there!

Kerry said...

sparkle trees!!! I still have mine out, they just make me happy. :)