layout

8/13/2008

Bags

Ahhh, so many things to blog about. Like how I bruised my tail bone at Lindsay's birthday party on Saturday which explains why I am not on the computer a lot and why I am sitting on one of those donut seats right now. Or what we did to actually celebrate our anniversary. Or how for 5 minutes yesterday I was in tears, freaking out that Ellie had been stolen from school. Or going to lunch with my friend Gina who is due any day with her 4th child. How is it possible that people who started having kids at the same time as me are having their 4th or 5th child? I can't even commit to having one more after Sadie! Or finishing Breaking Dawn and learning that my sister and I are the only people who hated it.

But instead, I'm going to blog about bags. Ellie really wanted a hand-sewn Church bag and I have no sewing skills. One summer we made my grandpa a lap quilt with little teddy bears in rows. I have no idea who thought they would let me sew the top, but I did a horrible job. The whole thing was crooked and slowly the teddy bears went from whole on the left side, to decapitated by the right side of the quilt. I also tried to sew Nativity costumes at Super Saturday one year. I had to have my machine re-threaded 4 times! I didn't even finish them until a month later when someone invited me over to "help" me out. So yeah, that's why you never see me at Mary Ellen's.

Anyway, back on subject here! Ellie wanted a bag and you know who sews -- MY MOM! She even sewed our Halloween costumes when we were little. She even taught Meredith to sew. You know who she didn't teach -- ME! Oh yeah, you've already learned that little point. But now you can see why I'm bitter. So I decided that while we were in Idaho, my mom should sew Ellie a church bag. Sewing in Idaho is a long-time tradition. When we were little we would go play Barbies in the basement. Kathleen and I were huge jerks and always stole my Aunt Kristine's barbie clothes, so my Grandma would sit at the sewing machine and make Kristine new clothes. Then we would see those and steal them too because my Grandma's clothes were even cuter than the store ones. Kristine would end up dressing her barbies in old socks.

Wow -- another tangent. Not surprising to those who know me well. So while we were in Idaho, Kathleen and I ventured off to the closest fabric store -- Wal-Mart -- to buy fabric. There was some sort of conversation which started off with, "Hi! We're inept. . ." Followed by numerous questions about fabric and yardage. We couldn't figure out why we were the chosen two to buy fabric. Neither one of us knows a darn thing! But we came home with cute fabric and patterns. Not just for a bag for Ellie, but for Nate too.

If you remember my Idaho blog, you'll remember that "sewing bags" was not mentioned. The schedule was too full, so my mom and Kristine started on Ellie's bag after we left and then Kristine finished up Nate's bag once my mom was gone. And without further tangent -- here are the bags:

It's picture day, by the way.

And while I'm talking about bags, here's my swim bag. Is that an ESPRIT bag you ask? Why YES! It is! Only the coolest bags EVER! In the late 8o's that is. I bought this bag one summer and my awesome Aunt Kristine bought one that was slightly smaller and black. After thinking it over for a few days, I decided that I liked the black bag better and my sweet sweet Aunt, used to giving up things like Barbie clothes, agreed to switch with me. The black ESPRIT bag is probably buried in a landfill in Korea after a few years of use. Kristine, however, used her green bag for years and years in the back of her car. A year ago I got a surprise package in the mail and inside was. . . the green ESPRIT bag. Still makes me laugh every time I look at it. And so now it is our swimming bag. Also, I can't believe I wrote this much about bags.

And a picture of cutie Sadie. She's probably plotting something that will be a huge mess for me to pick up.

34 comments:

Kat said...

Ok, she didn't really dress her barbies in old socks, did she? How sad you meanie! haha
the chuch bags turned out cute, btw- I'm not great at sewing either, and I went! c'mon- you gotta give in sometime! Oh yes, for a second I was wondering what you were doing with an Esprit bag ;) so funny

AZ Hey-mon said...

Ellie looks adorable for pictures.
I remembered it was picture day when it was 2 minutes left till take off and Chloe was doing who knows what to her hair. Needless to say,We won't be buying pictures this year. That is so fun that the kiddos have bags made by their g'ma and your aunt. And last but not least that picture of Sadie has the perfect look of trouble captured.

Kathleen said...

oh.my. word. cute bag/kids. HILARIOUS ESPRIT bag and redemption:

I would like to point out that when we played barbies i was just a little little girl who idolized her sister so when maddy says we were jerks it must be edited with maddy was a jerk and i was just trying to be like her. i even wrote an essay in fifth grade on heroes day about how much i loved my sister!!!

Kathleen said...

and i forgot to mention your creepy renesmee daughter in that last picture!! FREAKY! we need a joint blog about how much twilight freaking BLEW!

barterboutique said...

ESPRIT is still very popular here. They have a big store in the mall. I have to buy some stuff from there before we leave!

Rach said...

Wow, that was quite the post about bags!!! I hate sewing too. Ellie looks so cute for picture day.

Lisa Brown said...

My mother-in-law taught me to sew when Lily was a baby, and I was so grateful to her. I was terrified of the sewing machine, and even though I will never make clothes and only feel comfortable with stright seems, it did show that an old dog can learn new tricks :). She also made me a church bag that was so fancy, there is NO way I could come close to sewing one like it.

PS. Your Esprit bag totally took me back to my youth - ahh, the 80's.

Mamacita said...

I know why never learned to cook or sew you were too busy stealing barbies clothes and Esprit bags!

Rogers said...

We love reading your blog! We are always laughing... you have such fuuny stories! The bags look really cute! We would be honered to be on your list of friends! So yes you can put us on! We miss you guys to! Love Dori!!

p.s. Why did you hate Breaking Dawn??

Casey said...

I LOVED esprit bags, everything esprit actually! I can't believe you have a bag, I'm jealous!

Chelsea said...

Fun post about bags! :)

But I want more details onthe first paragraph. kidnapping, injuries, date night??? DO TELL!

Shauna-Lou said...

I know you wanted to know what I tought of Breaking Dawn... I don't plan on blogging about it that's for sure ... it was OK, but I was not that interested in most of it (unnecessarily sensual). I didn't HATE it, but if she writes another one, I won't be reading it :)

Megan said...

I didn't like Breaking Dawn either.
I love the Esprit bag, I wish I still had mine!!

Mike and Kimmy said...

The bags turned out so cute! I loved all the tangents by the way. The Espirit bag was classy! I remember those days...

Kaelene said...

I ♥ that you had an entire post about bags! And, that photo of Sadie is rather intimidating, however very cute!

Cecily said...

I think I had three or four ESPRIT bags. I used them for school books and lipgloss of course :)

Casey said...

BTW, neighborhood nerd, huh? Takes one to know one! :) he he

The Tyler's said...

Get out of town with that Esprit bag!! I'm pretty sure I had a faded denim one.
Love the new church bags. Why don't you get the pattern and then we can have Mary Ellen teach us how to make them!
What's with the devil child??? Ha Ha..I love that girl..always up to something!

Kerry said...

OK, every day my list thingie on my blog says that you have updated. So I come back here and you haven't. What's up with my list thingie?!

And check your email! Wazzup??

jacque said...

The Esprit bag was a huge trip down memory lane! the church bags turned out darling!

Meredith said...

Holy Crap -I had a navy blue Esprit bag. Love it.

And, I will forever be grateful for your mom teaching me to sew. It is probably time to teach Lindsay. Or, I could teach Ellie and skip Lindsay all together! Maybe during fall break we can have a little sewing camp or something and they can make something...

...Like a bag.

Amy F. said...

Cute bags! Okay, so thank you for making me feel better for being inept also. My Mom can sew, I used to sew in home-ec, so why can't I now??! However, Maddy, at least you make up for this "lack thereof" 10-fold with all your other amazing talents!! ;)

Anonymous said...

OMIGOSH! I used to have that VERY SAME ESPIRIT BAG!!!! Too funny!

Rickie said...

Very cute bags, your mom is so talented. I have to say 2 things. 1) that I stink at sewing, too. The only difference is that my mom has tried to teach me several times, but to no avail. and 2) I love the piece of history with the esprit bag. I had one for my school bag. They were so awesome. It made me chuckle.

Holly said...

What a meanie you were...get your own freaking barbie clothes will ya:) What a funny story! I really hope she had other clothes to dress her barbies in...and that the whole sock comment was a joke! How funny! Anyways, the bags turned out so cute! And...LOVE the discussion you had with Ellie about marriage in your last post! Just made me laugh!!!

Anonymous said...

Ok -- so I love looking at my grandkids! I come home from a hard days work every night and hope to see new pictures of MY GRANDKIDS!!!
And what do I see evey night -- the same adorable pictures I have been looking at for over a week! I need new pictures. I have taken to looking all your friends blogs -- in hope I will get a glimps of my grandkids on someone else's blog. And BTW to all of you out there linked to this blog -- you have adorable kids and I am enjoying your stories and pictures! I'm sure you all blog more often so your mothers can see their grandchildren.

So how many Mormon grandmothers does it take to oooh and ahhh over the new pictures of Maddy's kids? ----- None, I'll just sit here and go over the old pictures! Love you! M's Mom

Lisa said...

pk--so random comment to go with your random post. i had this DARLING to die for white ESPRIT sweater that i bought in hawaii. the thing was old. i always wore it. loved it. then i started scrapbooking and one day kerry and i were at my house and do you know that i got black staz-on ink on the whole sleeve of my sweater?? kerry pointed it out to me. i had that sweater for at least 10 or more years and damn scrapbooking ended its life!

i'm guessing your mom was waiting to teach you to drive before you got taught to sew. hence the wait. and sadie looks just like you when you are plotting evilness! ha ha

Unknown said...

My esprit bag was blue. And I had a white Guess bag around the same time. ;)

And lol about Lisa's learning to drive comment. I think we're all still waiting on that one, ya menace! ;)

Unknown said...

the bags are cute!

my roomate is THRILLED with her bag!
she won’t put it down!!!
hkpanda.freetzi.com

Anonymous said...

hi people. I'm actually into shoes and I had been digging for the sake of that exact model. The prices seeking the shoes were around 340 bucks everwhere. But completely I base this area selling them for the benefit of half price. I absolutely like those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will probably order them. what do you think?

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.

Anonymous said...

hi there dudes. I'm really into shoes and I have been digging allowing for regarding that exact brand. The prices seeking the velcros were all over 340 bucks on every page. But for all I set this site selling them for half price. I in reality want these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will probably order these. what can you tell me about these?

Anonymous said...

good day bros. I'm really into shoes and I had been searching for the sake of that exact make. The prices for the sneakers were about 350 dollars on every site. But completely I found this site selling them for half price. I in reality want these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will definetly order these. what can you say about it?

Anonymous said...

hi there people. I'm really into shoes and I have been looking for that meticulous model. The prices as regards the sneakers were all over 300 pounds on every page. But completely I set this locate selling them as a remedy for half price. I absolutely love these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will probably buy these. what is your opinion?