layout

9/09/2008

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

1. The Good
I missed my little girl while she was gone, so it was good to have her home Sunday night. See her all sprawled out on the couch eating a cookie and reading a book? Like mother like daughter! That is definitely the epitome of a good time to me. Also on the good list -- the gingersnaps the Martin's brought by. At Church I was teasing Bobby and Kathy that they should make me some cookies "just because." yes, i am so lame, i will try and get anyone to make me cookies. if you are reading this blog wondering what kind of gift you could get me/way you could say thank you/ practical joke you could play on me -- make me cookies. Late Sunday night there's a knock at my door and I look through the peep hole to see a plate of cookies gliding back and forth in front of it. Of course Bobby made me work for it -- he held our front door shut for a good minute or two. I love funny little surprises like that.

2. The Bad
How can Halloween be almost here? I'm so unprepared for the approaching holiday/birthday rush. I know people have been teasing me about having my Christmas cards done, but the truth is: I HAVEN'T DONE A DARN THING! I'm tempted to just Costco them this year. Would that be so horrible? Take my poll and let me know! I won this cute Halloween sign when I subbed at Bunco last week. Of course Bonnie had the yummiest food and the cutest prizes. I really need another trip to Utah because last trip didn't leave any time for shopping. I still need to visit Iron Works/Rod Works?? and then Taipan. Holy cow! People always have the cutest stuff from there. So who's willing to put me up and do a lot of shopping with me?

And of course, I HAD to pick up some Halloween PJs for my Halloween lover. He keeps bringing me the catalogs with Halloween stuff on the cover, "Please read this to me Mommy?" He had to take the Oriental Trading one with him to the gym today. My boy loves pumpkins!

I am secretly excited to get out my orange bins -- Dustin told me I had to wait until October. Last year was the first year I decided to celebrate Halloween, after learning that our School District pretends like it doesn't exist, and I went a little crazy buying stuff, plus the after-Halloween sales. . . OK, maybe Halloween approaching isn't toooooo bad.


3. The Ugly

Allergies. I am hideous and I feel like a train wreck. My throat is sore, my nose is completely stuffed, and I feel like my head is full of cotton balls. My eyes are the WORST! Be prepared for the picture I'm about to post. You know how people tell you they are going to post a horrible picture of themselves without makeup/without their hair done/post baby/whatever and then the picture of them is actually GORGEOUS? Yeah, that's not going to happen here. Luckily I can just wear my sunglasses everywhere so no one can see my eyes. They are puffy and red, plus the crusty eyelashes each morning. I can't resist itching them either, so I've sot of given myself a blister under one eye. I've gotten so old, I can see the use in putting cucumbers to relieve the swelling.

So yeah, if you see me wearing sunglasses in some dimly lit store -- now you know why.

21 comments:

Lisa said...

maddy--i thought that eye pic was of one of the kiddoes! hope you feel better and october rocks!

those pj's are wicked cool! they're insane in the membrane! LOL

Maddy said...

Nah, they all have gorgeous chocolate brown eyes. I'm the only one in the entire fam with yucky hazel blah eyes.

Nicole said...

btw I think with or without the red buffiness your eues are pretty I love the blue on the outside and brown in the middle!!!! Ok, and whats up with CTA and NO halloween?? I'ts dare I say maybe my fav. holiday??!!!

Ok, and my vote is for costco cards... easy, cheap ( as in low cost not cheap looking!, and fast! Just do a cute layout online ( I'd love to help you with it then send them online to costco and bam! you're done with only one trip to the store!!!! I'm all over Costco cards this year!!!

lynette said...

you poor, poor thing! get better soon!

Kerry said...

Seriously. Best.Photo.Ever.

You need to use that eye photo as a banner across your blog! LOL! Sorry though, it does look painful.

I am giddy that you are such a halloween lover now!!!! It's those dang cute round pumpkins! They put you in such a good mood!! ANd orange, who doesn't love orange?

I saw some cute orange striped halloween jammies at target today. With a spider on them. SOOOOOO CUTE!

The cookies make me laugh too. Even before you said anything I thought about you and wondered if Ellie put the cookie in the microwave first. Haha! I miss you warming your cookies. :(

Kathleen said...

1. i thought ellie was wearing a really ugly cookie shirt at first
2. nates pjs are pretty rockin. get me some of those. do they glow in the dark? i think you need to emphasize what a halloween FREAK that kid is.
3. your eyes look sad because you made them look like that way... are you pouting?? good job not getting red eye.
4. totally yearbooking you after my lab tonight

Molly said...

Sorry about your allergies, I've been having them pretty bad too, there must be something in the air. Ok, I'm curious though, how on earth did Ellie happen to be wearing Brynley's shirt in that picture??? Does she have the capris too? I vaguely remember Caroline wearing the outfit home from my house one day, hmm....Funny!

Rach said...

My kids have been asking me for at least a week and a half if we can go get Halloween costumes. I don't know if I am ready for the Holiday season yet!! Sorry about your allergies, this season has been pretty bad.

AZ Hey-mon said...

really now, you have an amazing eye color. I am totally with you on the cookie thing. I rarely make them for my family so I really like others to. You have trained Ellie well. And I did notice the Oriental Trading Co catalog at the gym and wondered about it. LOL! Remember we are blessed with make up!

Brenda Janda said...

Sorry you are feeling icky. Allergies suck. Your kids are to cute. I can't believe it is holiday time already. Crazy

Chelsea said...

Christmas cards pole cracks me up. I voted the "you totally know you will end up making them" vote. Why not go green and just email them????? crazy idea I know. What kind of crazy would do that huh! ;)

And your eyes, although may feel puffy and red look way not ugly. I love your eye color. You should move to Texas. Ever since we have lived there we have all done sooo much better. We are still allergic to some stuff there, but nothing compared to az. but the doctor says we are in our "honeymoon phase" there, so i am scared for the future. I have been using the boys medicines here and haven't been too miserable.

And I love your kids. reading and cookies...yum and fun. I thought her shirt had a coconut cut out patch thing at first.
Halloween is awesome. Nate is too cute!

Rickie said...

yucky allergies? who invented them anyways? When I am in Heaven, I'm going to create a world w/o bugs. Maybe yours could be one w/o allergies. Mike is going through it too right now. Have you tired zyrtec? He has never found anything that worked until that stuff. LOL.

Rickie said...

Oh, by the way, I think it is rod works. and it does rock. So does the tai- place. Why can't we get any good places like that around here?

Molly said...

BTW, about the card thing, I seem to remember a few years ago you got yours at Costco and I totally remember giving you crap for it... I think I may be doing that this year with moving during the holidays so I say, simplify and join me!

Kaelene said...

Costco cards rock!!! Because you can customize your layout and make it all you! And, they take a HECK of a lot less time!
I'm sorry your allergies are kickin' your butt! I'm in that club too!

Megan said...

Halloween is the best! Sean's making me wait until the 1st to get anything out too. We'll see if I can wait that long.
Ella is like Nate. She has already planned out the next 3 years of costumes for the whole family.

Anonymous said...

Yucky hazel eyes! I beg to differ and I take offense! You have beautiful eyes that change color with what you wear and with your mood! Imagine how handy that was when you were Sadie's age!

Love you!

Amy F. said...

That was such a cute, funny, awesome post. I am glad that I'm not in the "decorating" mood yet and that I don't have kids old enough to care. jk.
Okay, so cookies for Maddy -check! I'd love to have an excuse to make cookies.
And the allergies, I know!! I guess I get to say I have this one on you. I am the allergy queen -puffy, watery, red eyes; runny nose. However, pregnancy seemed to help them get better (?). But being the only one blowing my nose the whole time during every aerobics class? Yeah, not cool. And the indoor sunglasses? I'm rockin those too.

Lisa Brown said...

I miss my baby girl too. And so sorry about your allergies - that totally stinks!

And about Halloween, Kevin and I were so excited to see that Costco had costumes out. We hurried and snatched up the boy Jedi costume for our Star Wars obsessed 2 yr old, becuase last year it sold out in the first week. Crazy. And hey, you can totally decorate now :).

Holly said...

You know I'd put you up and go shopping with ya! It would just have to be 4 weeks from now (when I hit 35 weeks).
I am laughing at the fact that you took a picture of your eyes:) Mine are more red than yours and I don't even have allergies. I just can't find my Visine...to get the red out.

jacque said...

I'm about ready to rip my eyes, throat, and nose right out as we speak because they are itching so bad. I totally feel for you with the eyes! If anyone dares come over at night after a day of allergies and relentless itching--BEWARE! I look super freaky! I will have to bring over some of my yummy snickerdoodles! :)