layout

9/25/2008

Movin' to the Country

Gonna eat a lot of peaches. Peaches come in a can, they were put there by a . . .WOMAN! Named MADDY! Guess how I spent the day yesterday?? Canning peaches of course. PS It's a rule that you have to look really horrible when canning peaches. I SWEAR!

Karen and Rickie held my hand through the whole thing. We canned 64 pounds of peaches -- every time I looked at the pile of peaches it seemed like they would never end. I don't think I would enjoy doing them by myself, but when you've got your two buddies making you laugh and doing all the hard parts -- like reaching into the boiling vat of water to retrieve cans/peaches, it is actually a really fun way to spend the day. Even if there are 9 kids running loose in the house. It went by fast and was surprisingly calm in the house.

First you have to boil your peaches, then you skin them, then you cut them, then you smash them in the jars just the right way so they look pretty -- only if you're Rickie, then you make a syrup, then you pour the syrup in, then you wash the rims. somewhere in there you wash the bottles/lids, then you put them in the water bath for 30 minutes. . . then, then, then! Then at the end of the day, you thank your amazing friends for the fun afternoon and making canning seem so easy and collapse into bed. Thanks girls!!!

19 comments:

Molly said...

I was wondering if you ever got your canning done! I am so proud of you, see I told you it wasn't that hard. It is way better to do it with other people though. I've been canning beans this week, talk about easy and very tasty. If you ever want to do beans, let me know, I could help you with that! Congrats on the tasty peaches!

Holly said...

Wow Maddy...way to go! I really wish I had the patience to can right now cuz those look SO yummy! That picture is NOT horrible!!! I would trade skin with you in a second, you lucky girl...you're so pretty!!!

Kathleen said...

i was so confused at first i was sad i was going to have to be the one to tell you those were yellow apples not peached but now i see you skinned them. i thought you were losing your mind!!

how very domestic!! i love you!

we are currently experiencing a really bad rainstorm so i can't get service on my cell phone but i am writing a paper probably all night so if you get online we can video.

LOVE YA,

kathleener

Lara Neves said...

Just got off the phone with my mom who has been canning peaches all day! Can't wait to steal twenty bottles from her pantry. :) YUM!

Meredith said...

I saw Karen yesterday and asked how it went...I didn't know you did it yesterday - she didn't tell me that part! I am totally proud of you! Molly said we canned beans, true, but we also did tomatoes this week too. You should go to Molly's canning class she is teaching tonight!

Rickie said...

Man, I look really old in this picture. It was a great time yesterday. By the way, you seriously need to enter that one jar in the fair. It was the prettiest one after we were all done!!!

Maddy said...

Mer- Well call me next time you can. I just need a little hand holding ;D

Can't make Molly's class tonight -- I've got major SMP prep!!

Lara -- I wish I could can that way :D

Rickie -- Must have been a can you stuffed.

AZ Hey-mon said...

That was the most fun time EVAH that I have had canning! Why you playin all modest on your canning skills. You were awesome.

Rach said...

Millions of peaches, peaches for me. 64 pounds? That seems like a ton of canned peaches. Now, can you come here and teach me how to can?

Lisa Brown said...

That is so awesome! We used to can peaches when I was young, and I hated doing it, but loved eating them. Since I was at the bottom of the todem pole and was in charge of skinning and cutting, unfortunately I never actually learned how to can. Oh well. Plus, you can't get good peaches in Georgia - crazy, I know.

Sara said...

Yum! I am impressed, Maddy Rogers!

Mike and Kimmy said...

That's awesome! I have never canned anything. I just pick and eat usually. I love peaches too! MMMM!

Kaelene said...

Girl, you got skillz! And now yummy canned peaches for another day! I ♥ home canned peaches. . . they are the best!

Nicole said...

I loved that song! So many memories! btw way you look good! Way to go on the canning thing I don't know a thing about canning :(

Lisa said...

i canned peaches this year too. love it. now go forth and make jam.

Amy F. said...

Way to go! I so want to do that.
I will, someday ;)
You can't go wrong with peaches. They are the best. (And hey, I think that Janel has that song on her blog. Too funny!)

Burwell's Bits said...

Way to go. I love the not quite instant gratification of canning. You can see all the work you did sitting nicely on the counter. I have a steam canner that I do my peaches and tomatoes in and I love it. They are so easy to do. Just time consuming. Good work.

Megan said...

Home-canned peaches are so pretty! I always have to line all my jars up and look at them for a few days before I can put them away.
Good job!

Chelsea said...

Do you remember my address? Or where my mom lives? I'd be happy to rotate a jar for you :)